crf230f gearing

• 2 weeks later...

Stock is 13/50. I run 14/49.

I didn't like stock gearing at all. First was too low for anything really, except maybe teaching someone how to use a clutch. Second was a little to slow for hill climbing, there wasn't enough speed to get through the real hard stuff. Third didn't have enough power.

With the new gearing I can now use first in the real tight sections, and second on most trails. Third in the faster stuff. Hills are easier, I just hit everything wide open in second. If it starts to run out of power a bit of clutch action will bring it back on the pipe. Doesn't try to backflip as often as the old second gear, and the added wheel speed helps it dig for traction as needed. 

Next time I'll go 14/50 and get 2 more links on the chain I think. More for curiosity than anything, although my tire is very close to the swingarm. MT16, so a tall tire to begin with. 

YMMV of course. Different terrain will have different results. If you're in the desert you probably wouldn't like my gearing. 

On May 17, 2017 at 10:42 PM, CDNSXV said:

Stock.  Thats why the multibillion dollar company full of trained engineers that designed and built it, used that gearing.

Yeah, because the engineers were filling the company instead of out riding the bike.

• Like 1

I run 14/46. Stock uncorked, rejetted engine, stock exhaust w/Powroll 1" header. Changing to this gearing is one of the best mods I've done to this bike. First gear is now useable, and the gear ratio spread works great for the riding I do. YRMV.

• Like 1

I run 14/46. Stock uncorked, rejetted engine, stock exhaust w/Powroll 1" header. Changing to this gearing is one of the best mods I've done to this bike. First gear is now useable, and the gear ratio spread works great for the riding I do. YRMV.

+1
1st gear is so low with stock gearing it is pretty much unusable other than from a dead stop on take off.
And a 14 t counter will increase the drive chains service life a little.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, CDNSXV said:

Stock.  Thats why the multibillion dollar company full of trained engineers that designed and built it, used that gearing.

Then why did they use the rear shock they did, because they want us to die?  Or the tires? 

Why does Honda want us to be unhappy and then die?  I love Honda.  I thought Honda loved me too. :(

• Like 5

21 hours ago, MetricMuscle said:

Then why did they use the rear shock they did, because they want us to die?  Or the tires? 

Why does Honda want us to be unhappy and then die?  I love Honda.  I thought Honda loved me too. :(

A complex component like a shock is in no manner equal to choosing a gearing ratio.

• Like 1

According to a very recent post here on TT, by "one great builder", On a Freeride, the engine will unexpectedly run backwards under certain conditions. (Ever heard of a Bultaco)

And it's been posted by many that the Freeride suspension is much better than a 230f, so in that case, removing the shifter from a Freeride could get you killed no matter how much better the Freeride suspension is.

Personally, I would take a 230f with bad suspension, before a Freeride that runs backwards.

• Like 1