Yz250f vs yz250fx vs 250xcf

Right now, I have a 2014 yz250f and want to switch to one of these two bikes. I race harescrambles in pennsylvania/ohio and for the most part, I like my yz250f but there are a couple major things I dont like about it

1.its hard to start on a dead engine start and halfway up a hill

2.the transmission is wierd for in single track: either revving out in 1st or bogging in 2nd

3. It likes to spin out as soon as you gove it gas, really messing me up on rainy days.

how does the yz250fx or 250xcf compare to my yz250f? Is it the way to go for me? This will be brand new, and I would like to stay in the xc2 class which the biggest you can go is a 250f or a 200 2 stroke. Thanks.

All 3 of those are easily remedied, and to be quite honest a close ratio 5 speed it the preferred gear box for harescrambles by most of the fast guys. Fun fact, Russell Bobbitts XCF is not an XCF, rather an SXF. Number 2 is the easiest to fix, all it takes is 1 tooth up in the rear to make second gear more useable without being too low in the rpm range. Number 3 can be fixed with a simple ignition curve change, and number 1 can be fixed by remapping the fueling. Your yz250f is a great bike for what you're doing with it

• Like 1

He is right, about everything. I can attest, the 250sxf gear box is sweet offroad, lower purchase price and more performance, it works better then the 250xcf for racers. Make sure your idle is properly set, your bike should start pretty easy hot, a FX or SXF with estart would be a nice upgrade if you stall often. The FX is very similar to what you have, lots of magazine reviews, read a few.  While youre still on your yz, try some different gearing, sounds like you may benifit from  1 or 2 tooth less in the rear, it would give less initial hit and let you stretch first longer or gear it down a tooth or two so you can get into second sooner.