Fitting neutral light to DRZ 400 E

Hi guys. I recently bought a used 2002 Suzuki DRZ 400.

Paperwork says it's an S, but I think it actually an E. My dashboard consists of nothing more than a third party analogue speedo.

I have been road riding for almost 15 years, and really want a neutral light on my DRZ. I have a third party neutral light which seems perfect for the job.

Down near the gear selector is a little plate held on by 2 bolts. Behind the plate is a gaping hole, where, I am led to believe, should be some gubbins which talks to the neutral light switch thus tells the bike it's in neutral and lights up the dash light.

I have the neutral light switch, and the light. I believe there should be something like this behind the plate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260375758313?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Can anyone give me some advice on how to rig up a dashboard neutral light on this engine? Because behind the plate, there is no working parts, I am certain that just putting the switch on and wiring it up, it won't work.

I can post up some pics if you need. Somone please help! I know I don't actually NEED the light, but I want it and have most of the parts, I just don't know how I can wire it all together to get the light working.

Thanks guys (this is my first post =))

The shift drum used in the S/SM is different than the E shift drum.  To get a neutral light you will need to replace the shift drum.  A lot easier to learn to live with the lack of a neutral light than to split the cases and replace the shift drum.  Your foot will learn to find neutral.

• Like 1

Well the are several reasons but simplest to understand is the shift drum assembles into the case halves before they go together.  It does no slide out either side.  I have not had a neutral light for 17 years.  It will take you less then a week to get used to finding neutral with your foot and verifying you are in neutral using the clutch.

• Like 1

I have the same thing on my stroker motor , shouldn't have had the E drum anywhere near where I was assembling the motor so I ended up with the big hole in it as well . I was always going to make a plug to go in the drum with the holes for the plungers in it to get the light back . I ride a pile of bikes and it's rather habit to look at the light it gets annoying when it not on one but so far I lived with it . Someday I'll make that plug , just need a good way to hold it in place without hammering a press fit piece in.

Behind the plate should be two small pins and i think a spring, if there are not even holes for the pins to go into than yeah, you would have to replace the drum. I guess if you were really adventurous you could drill into the shift drum to add the holes....