Tire puntures with Tubliss system

Has anyone experienced punctured flats with the Tubliss setup in the front tire? I've heard from a few others that this can happen from the bead lock puncturing the tire. Happened to me last weekend running about 8psi. Not sure if anyone has a solution for this?

From the rim lock? never heard of it, 

make sure your lock is not rotating to 45 degrees when you tighten it down so all the pressure is on a couple corners of it. This is usually what causes the "bulge" at the rim lock.

Edited by Wild Alaskan

Yes it has happened to me, usually it is the tire gets punctured when a sharp rock pushes the tire against the bead lock plate and presses a hole through the tire. I have a few good knicks in my beadlock from a few good hits. 

I have had multiple punctures in both front and rear tires running tubliss, but I have never attributed them to anything to do with the rim lock. Tubliss requires tough tires, not wimpy MX tires.

• Like 2

You'd have to hit the tire just right exactly on the bead lock and be running no pressure. I've never seen it.

Tubliss still has a beadlock. Looks a little different from regular ones but it's still there.

Tubliss has a rim lock for the inner tire with a feed thru bolt for airing the main tire. The Tubliss tire has a tube with a normal looking valve stem.  I've been running Tubliss on the rear of CRF250X severl years and for many years front/rear on my XRs. Over the years I have had a few front tire punctures on the XR but no problems with the Tubliss.

You can field fix a tire puncture with a plug kit but you do need to follow up with a patch on the inside, like they do for car tires. 

18 hours ago, Chuck. said:

You can field fix a tire puncture with a plug kit but you do need to follow up with a patch on the inside, like they do for car tires. 

I have successfully rope plug repaired 3 or 4 front and rear tires and never felt the need for a "follow up with a patch on the inside".  The rope plugs by themselves held up perfectly until the tires were worn out.

• Like 2

Same as with others here - I've experienced flats from sharp rocks and other stuff running Tubliss, but never from the Tubliss itself. I've done hundreds of miles of desert racing with Tubliss, and have nothing but great things to say about it. I even finished the last 23 miles of a race one time on a slashed open front tire.

On May 11, 2017 at 8:56 AM, craig3x said:

Has anyone experienced punctured flats with the Tubliss setup in the front tire? I've heard from a few others that this can happen from the bead lock puncturing the tire. Happened to me last weekend running about 8psi. Not sure if anyone has a solution for this?

Are you referring to the tire itself or the red "inner tube" that seals the tire? On my bikes I run Slime in both front n rear, it has sealed any hole that's occurred so far, also carry a plug kit for a hole bigger than the slime can handle, so far so good.