Buying tools: Shallow vs Semi-deep vs Deep Sockets

Hey everyone, 

When it comes to working on your dirt bike, what type of socket do you find most useful? I know this depends on the job at hand but I would like to know what you find yourself using most often.

I am considering buying a semi-deep 1/4" drive socket set and a deep 1/2" socket set. I think my snap-on torque wrench goes from 12.5 - 250 ft-lbs and my other goes from 1-20 ft-lbs.

• Like 1

I have lots of both.  Conventional gets used for the most part. Few of my hondas, or yamahas EVER need a deep socket,  but as mentioned, when you need one it is the only thing that will work.  The good news is you only need 1 to 2 of those.   Get good enough ones that they don't mess the bolt heads up.  Doubly important since so many bolts are coming with such small heads now.  Snapon if you can afford it,  craftsman,  cornwell etc and even the napa premium ones are decent if you are cost conscious.   In that case buying three sizes of Snap on sockets and a decent ratchet,  speed handle,  and flex handle along with a full set of second rate sockets is one way of getting that you need when you need it.  

• Like 1

Good torque wrenches are a blessing!  I have some snapon,  and oddly a proto in inch pounds since they were the only ones avail that went all the way down to 5 inch pounds.  It is just to make me feel better for not using my fingers setting injectors. 

as a dude that makes his living with sockets everyday, I would highly suggest semi deep if you can only have one. 

If you have to go snapon buy them on ebay, picked up brand new 1/4 in metric shallow and deep for 300 bucks a couple months ago. about 500 on the truck

• Like 1