Sign in to follow this  

Xt250 Piston ring Identification issue

Evening All,

As subject says, I am having real issues getting new rings for my bike... I have ordered two sets, one of which were matched via the engine number, and both are 1mm too big :| 

My piston measures 73mm and rings are 74mm closed tight and are sloppy on the piston?? Perplexed...?

Anyone had a similar situation?? Got any insight??

My ground up restoration has come to a grinding halt, and it's soo close :-( 

Thanks in advance 

Keiran

73mm give or take 0. Something on either one.. Very strange I have another engine to which also has a 73mm bore. Both sets of rings I have bought are standard too, so smallest available for that bike supposedly :-S 

73mm give or take 0. Something on either one.. Very strange I have another engine to which also has a 73mm bore. Both sets of rings I have bought are standard too, so smallest available for that bike supposedly :-S 

So you need a set of rings to suit that bore size ,don't Worry if there loose on the piston ,as long as they are the correct thickness for the piston ring grooves in the piston your going to fit ,put them one by one down the cyl bore about half inch from top and measure your Ring end gap ,that's what is important ,once you get that sorted fit them on the piston and assemble it ,rings in a four stroke need side clearance.and back clearance ,giving you the impression that they are loose ,hope I have confused you[emoji106]

Hmm... OK I'll have another look. I did pinch the rings right up so gaps where fully closed an got a measurement of 74mm. But micrometer is not the best, so will try them in the bore and see what happens ;-) Thankyou

Hmm... OK I'll have another look. I did pinch the rings right up so gaps where fully closed an got a measurement of 74mm. But micrometer is not the best, so will try them in the bore and see what happens ;-) Thankyou

If there quality rings they should be close to spot on for gap ,if you have trouble getting them in and they don't look like fitting they would be no good, obviously .
  • Like 1

Definitely smaller piston than standard :-S.... I've ended up buying the "standard" piston to match rings I bought, and having cylinder recored to fit :-) Ah well Engine one step fresher than intended, and a tiny bit more horsepower :-) 

• Like 1

My original piston was smaller than standard... Haven't got a clue how that came about..?? Got another engine in the shed, with same size bore too :-S Hence deciding balls to it, and just getting the Nos slightly larger one and getting it rebored :-) 

• Like 1