Radiator hole repair

Hey all,

New to TT and new to dirtbikes, just bought my first bike about a month ago. A 2001 kx125. I found a crack in the radiator right by the fitting that connects the two sides. I took it over to a buddies who has repaired rads before but after welding about 3/4 of the crack he accidently burnt a pretty good sized hole in the rad. Is it possible to repair this or am I in for a new left side?

Or just hit up eBay. Usually several sets for everything for sale there.

Good quality aluminum is alright to work with, but radiator material is dirty any way you look at it. They are doable, but you better have a good high freq Tig and a little thin material experience, or this is what you get. I've welded a lot of aluminum and magnesium through the years, and have to say, it's my least favorite material to work with..

• Like 2

I have a buddy who owns a marine repair shop and if it was mine, I would take it to him too see if they could fix it for a case of beer. I don't know where the OP lives but you may have GOOD local shops that could repair.

Otherwise I replaced my OEM rads on my CRF recently with GPI oversized rads and IMO they may be made in China but the workman ship was perfect and the price is right ?  With the $$$ I save, I put on Devol guards/braces which I I had in the fist place, I would not have had to buy new rads.

I did a quick ebay for your bike and you can get a pair GPI's for $78 or maybe even just the damaged rad replacement for $28.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kx-125-radiator

I bought the GPI recently.  They look great!  Only complaint is they are just a little to big, I need to modify my setup to fit my oversized tank now.  Other than that they would have no clearance problems on a stock setup (CRF450x)

Edited by SteveKing84
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveKing84 said:

I bought the GPI recently.  They look great!  Only complaint is they are just a little to big, I need to modify my setup to fit my oversized tank now.  Other than that they would have no clearance problems on a stock setup (CRF450x)

Ya I have a 250X tank on my 250R but I did not have an issue with the tank clearance. The only thing I found was the the right side rad almost touches the header (about 1/4" clearance) but it hasn't been an issue in 2 years.

With the Devol guards, they IMO did not come down enough to protect the bottom of the rad so I added these on both sides.

20160229_164444.thumb.jpg.e7d4c73d0f56d0d360a61ffdcd2c8b23.jpg20160229_171309.thumb.jpg.e1460eef016bca17e007544aa1f87dd3.jpg20160322_173823.thumb.jpg.e8c7284d6ec7e96ae26ecd1fa06f2500.jpg

$78 for a pair is a great deal. I've heard nothing but good things about GPI construction. Solid, good welds. A few have had to 'work them' a little for, have had shroud issues and radiator guard issues (GPI all tend to be over sized) but they also reduce boil over due to having more surface area. For the price, that is probably cheaper than shipping and a repair by Myler.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya I have a 250X tank on my 250R but I did not have an issue with the tank clearance. The only thing I found was the the right side rad almost touches the header (about 1/4" clearance) but it hasn't been an issue in 2 years.

With the Devol guards, they IMO did not come down enough to protect the bottom of the rad so I added these on both sides.

20160229_164444.thumb.jpg.e7d4c73d0f56d0d360a61ffdcd2c8b23.jpg20160229_171309.thumb.jpg.e1460eef016bca17e007544aa1f87dd3.jpg20160322_173823.thumb.jpg.e8c7284d6ec7e96ae26ecd1fa06f2500.jpg

I've got the same brand guards on my 450x, the radiators extend about 0.25-0.5 inches below them.  Haven't done anything about it

8 minutes ago, SteveKing84 said:

I've got the same brand guards on my 450x, the radiators extend about 0.25-0.5 inches below them.  Haven't done anything about it

Ya it was easy and basically free to rivet on the piece on both sides in my last pic and IMO protects the bottom of what is about 1 inch in the other pic.

31 minutes ago, William1 said:

$78 for a pair is a great deal. I've heard nothing but good things about GPI construction. Solid, good welds. A few have had to 'work them' a little for, have had shroud issues and radiator guard issues (GPI all tend to be over sized) but they also reduce boil over due to having more surface area. For the price, that is probably cheaper than shipping and a repair by Myler.

Ya I've been extremely happy with the GPI's and just used zip ties instead bolts for the bottom shrouds. My shrouds are pushed out anyway cus the 250X tank is bigger the the 250R

Hey Guys, 

Sorry about getting back to you all so late, I am working nights this week. Thanks to everyone for all the answers, there is definitely some food for thought here! I am going to try and JB weld it tonight because I want to try and ride on sunday. Past that I am going to watch ebay looking for a cheap OEM left side replacement. Although many of you guys have made me want to bite the bullet on a pair of GPI's with new hoses. My problem with this is that I am currently very limited in terms of tools, if any "fitting" is required I only have the base level of tools and a few power tools. Anyways, you guys all gave me a warm welcome here and thanks to everyone!!

Matman27