Top end fresh rebuild now coolant+oil :/

So i just got done with the top end on my 05 drz. I replaced the wore big bore it had with the stock bore and original head gasket and piston I used to run. Everythings back together now and I was about to start her for the first fire after I changed the oil. So i pulled the oil drain bolt saw water.. so i pull the frame filter and drain all the water oil mix out. With the oil drain plug out i try pouring coolant into the fill on the rad and i flows out of the oil drain almost at a steady rate.. i couldnt imagine the water pump seal got f'd out of nowhere. Only thing i can think is head gasket' which i just installed... I used a single gasket in between the bore and bottom end and the stock three layer gasket with the corner rivit. It was a bit dirty but I brake cleaned it and used copper permatex as well so could it be the culprit?. Thoughts?

I reused head gasket let it soak in some gas for a bit and brake cleaned it, like i said i also used that copper permatex with it hoping to eliminate any chance of leakage.20170509_215523.thumb.jpg.0969cb4bed3ddf7c1b60df9a165bdba1.jpg

In the new issue of Dirt Bike Magazine there is an article about a KX450 rebuild. The owner used too much permatex on the cam cover and it broke off , clogged the pick up screen on the oil pump, starving the engine of oil and it blew up.

What you have done there is almost comically. You need to clean all that crap off and use new gaskets.

• Like 5

In the new issue of Dirt Bike Magazine there is an article about a KX450 rebuild. The owner used too much permatex on the cam cover and it broke off , clogged the pick up screen on the oil pump, starving the engine of oil and it blew up. What you have done there is almost comically. You need to clean all that crap off and use new gaskets.

"Comical" well i cant say i disagree, it looks worse from the outside as i layed it thick on the outter rim to get that nice ooze seal, i dont know if reusing the old crap head gasket would have been the smartest thing in the world but i would have thought it would work.. is that what the general consensus is? The head gasket is the likely cause of the coolant leaking into oil anyway even with my masterfull permatex skills
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PirateCaptain said:

Only thing i can think is head gasket' which i just installed... I used a single gasket in between the bore and bottom end and the stock three layer gasket with the corner rivit. It was a bit dirty but I brake cleaned it and used copper permatex as well so could it be the culprit?. Thoughts?

can you clarify this - is this 2 different base gaskets in the same place?

Most four stroke gaskets are designed to go on dry. Some do add a thin layer of sealant but this is excessive. With this amount the proper torque specs would not be able to get the normal seal and due to the pressures of combustion and coolant pressure, sadly, this rebuild had little chance of being successful. We all make mistakes. Sounds like you may have caught it in time. Also make sure you clean the oil filter in the frame in case and strands of the goup are clogging it.

• Like 2

Did you fire it up at all ?  To me a leaking head gasket won't leak fast enough to allow coolant to flow as fast as a person can pour it in the radiator . Maybe it's possible just never have seen it and thinking of the areas it has to go through to get into the oil is awfully small for flow.  Are you sure you have the waterpump seals all there ? Start at the easiest to inspect though the gaskets should be replaced with new one anyways and get rid of all those rtv worms.

So i bit the bullet and ordered new gaskets.. 30 bucks down the crapper. Im going to break it back apart when the new gaskets get here. Next time reassembling ill use this apparently way better copper spray. Man everyone is hating on my permatex masterpiece. Seriously though I hope nothing is warped with as bad as it seems to let coolant just flow the f on out.imagejpeg_21.jpg

1 hour ago, PirateCaptain said:

So i bit the bullet and ordered new gaskets.. 30 bucks down the crapper. Im going to break it back apart when the new gaskets get here. Next time reassembling ill use this apparently way better copper spray. Man everyone is hating on my permatex masterpiece. Seriously though I hope nothing is warped with as bad as it seems to let coolant just flow the f on out.imagejpeg_21.jpg

New gaskets are worth their weight in gold; not money down the crapper.

• Like 2