Lost Title & Registration Honda 150R, how to register

I have a 2009 Honda 150R that is titled and registered in California.

I lost both the title and registration (don't ask, still crying).

All I have is a collections bill from California stating I did not pay my registration.

How can I get this vehicle titled or registered in CO? I'm having a hard time understanding the restrictions. I will be sending in payment for the missed registration.

Seems like you could let CA know the bike is no longer in state, then apply for a lost title in CO. A temp title is issued and if it doesn't come up stolen or a bank lien in a couple years they issue a permanent title.  At least that's how it works in my state.

You can also ask California for a replacement title, supply proof of when you moved. They may (if due) require back fees to be paid. Then turn over the title to Colorado and get a Colorado title.

FYI, if you blow off California entirely and one day, find yourself back there, they might come after you then for the back fees and possibly penalties.

did you buy the bike, not register and transfer title, previous owner reported sale ?    just think it's bizarre the state would try to collect on a registration fee unless they are after the sales tax.

16 hours ago, highmarker said:

did you buy the bike, not register and transfer title, previous owner reported sale ?    just think it's bizarre the state would try to collect on a registration fee unless they are after the sales tax.

The bike is in my name.  I transferred title and registration.  It's registered and titled in CA.  I left the bike in CA.  Recently drove the bike out here and lost the paperwork.  CA sent a collections notice to my parents who recently gave that paperwork to me.  I thought I had paid the registration before moving but I guess I didn't. 

I ended up just sending in the payment for collections.  They'll provide the new registration to my parents address.  In the mean time I'll try to title the vehicle in CO.  I'm totally fine with paying-- just didn't know how to prove ownership when all I have is a collections notice from CA.    

I've been in this same boat, not lost but missing, ask CA dmv for a replacement, just be patient they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed...