Wr250r ok in sand dunes?

Today I took a trip out to a sand dune area and tried a little riding in deep sand for the first time. I figured it out fairly quickly but just noticed how much revving I was having to do seemed quite abit. My questions are...

Is revving the wr250r in deep sand ok for the bike? 

Is a 12/43 sprocket setup good or need to go lower?

12/43 isn't good for anything. Too high in all gears.
13/48 or lower is best.

Don't be afraid to rev the bike.  It's built to rev.

A larger rear sprocket has the effect of making the gear ratios "closer" rather than "Wide" as it comes from the factory.  It can allow you to stay in the power band more of the time.

Serious off road tires (I use motocross knobbies), a steering damper, and suspension set low in the rear will all help front end wandering.

Edited by BluePill
  • Like 1

I've had my WRRs in sand and have used stock sprockets 13/43 which are good for pretty much nothing. If you only make 1 mod to a WRR it should be here and adding teeth to the rear. along with stock I've used, 13/45, 13/47, 13/48, 13/50, 14/43 (HA! Awesome fuel mileage but crap for performance), 14/47, 14/48 and 14/50. For a true dualsport used in both the street and dirt I've found that 13/47 is the perfect compromise and that's exactly what the WRR is, a compromise between street and dirt. It'll tear up the dirt while still able to cruise along at 70-75mph and still accelerate to 80-85 and even 90mph but that's just scary on this bike. 13/47 also gives you one of the best and longest lasting chain to gear tooth wear patterns allowing both to last longer.

The biggest bang for your buck to any WRR is sprockets. RMATV carrys the Primary Drive sprockets and chain. $65 bucks for the chain, $20 for a rear and $9 for a front sprocket. Can't beat that for quality, dependable, long lasting parts. Toss in a couple extra master links to drop into the tank bag and shop parts bin.

If you don't ride street or highway often go with a 50 on the rear. Still ride street at 60-65mph but you won't want to be doing much highway. A 50 will tractor the WRR up pretty much anything off-road though.

Our WRRs are designed to for high reving. Twist the throttle and you can take it direct to the rev limiter without fear. The bike will absolutely scream for hours on end. 

Tires .. A good set of all around tires are the T63 by Michelin. Long lasting, super stiff sidewalls, excellent and fairly quiet on the street and while the D606 handles deep mud better, the T63 handles sand better. I get 5k miles from a rear and 6k or so front. 

One be thing about the WRR is that its lean from the factory through most of the rpm range especially at idle, low and high RPMs. Because of this the bike actually runs hotter. I suggest the PCV programmer even for a stock bike as it runs a richer fuel mixture which lets the bike run cooler.. A good thing.

In the sand.. Ass back over the rear tire, twist the throttle more, don't back off and let the front skip across the top of the sand. ?

Is the gearing change based on the tires you have?  I am thinking of Kenda 760's on the back and haven't firgured out the front tire yet,but it's winter here in Chicago and my 2018 only has 60 miles on it so I have some time to ponder.  I don't really plan on riding it on the street since my son rides a crf150 on dirt only and is only 13.  My little experience on the dirt/ light mud and mud had me slipping all over with stock tires and that is going to be my first change.  I have read that changing to 606's requires a change of sprocket and chain but nothing about the Kenda tires other than that they are 90/10 dirt/road which should change the handling.  I like the option of the 50tooth rear.  Makes me think of my mountain bike and its ability to go up anything with a 42 rear and 22 front, but only 1/4 hp on the seat.

Depends though not really. Both sprocket changes and tires will throw off the speed/odometer. Some people play with it and match the changes together. Cant be bothered and don't really care about either on mine.. and I ride a lot of street, highway and interstate as well as off-road. The bike is an sleepy with stock sprockets. For true 50/50 do anything after 10k miles I'd say 13/47 or 14/50 is the best "dualsport" combo for our WRRs. I'm still riding 13/47 but just picked up a new 14/50 set to try.. I'll run 13/50 for awhile for some off-road fun and stay off the interstates. If I were to ride mainly off-road I'd ride the 13/50 for sure. put a 14 in the garage to swap out for any trips you might take where you'll have longer street or highway. Good idea to pickup a spare front nut as well. a 112 link chain works for either as well.