motonack

What symptoms would show if...

The bike is a 2015 300XC. What symptoms would be present if I had a faulty stator or voltage regulator? Would the bike run correctly by kickstart (it does) if either of those components had failed? I'm currently battling e-start issues that are purely electrical. I just replaced my battery relay and the battery with success for all about 20-30 starts. I'll be digging into the bike this weekend to start attempting diagnosis. There is no audible click to the relay when the e-start doesn't work, and sometimes if I let the bike sit for 15-20 minutes, the starter will work for one start. And I mean one start, in that once it works and starts the bike, it won't work again for a second time if I shut off the bike and try.

Note: Please don't tell me my problem is the bendix or starter or whatever. I've already cleaned and tested these parts and they work flawlessly. That is, when the button actually works.

2 minutes ago, lhc450 said:

Bad ground possibly?

The ground on the battery is definitely good. The two or three metal hoops that get bolted down under the gas tank are snug. Are you supposed to split them up to either bolt so they aren't touching? I think those are the only ground points on the bike.

The ground from the battery to the frame has to be good and clean as well as the connector and the frame itself.
The ones under the tank can be together and make sure that there is no paint or any other junk where they mount to the frame.
Can you jumper the solenoid and get things to start

2 minutes ago, lhc450 said:

The ground from the battery to the frame has to be good and clean as well as the connector and the frame itself.
The ones under the tank can be together and make sure that there is no paint or any other junk where they mount to the frame.
Can you jumper the solenoid and get things to start

The thing is, this issue began in October last year. The way I had the grounds mounted and everything didn't change throughout all of 2016, and when I checked everything, nothing had loosened up or something. I keep my bike absolutely pristine and always used compressed air everywhere to get the bike completely dry after washing it. All the ground connections are really clean and I've mounted the grounds under the tank the same way i've always done since I got the bike. When I "fixed" the e-start system about a month ago, I had figured the battery relay was dead as well as the battery. The battery was consistently dropping below 10v and was difficult to charge. The starter would initiate and start the bike as perfect as ever if I jumped the relay with a known good battery. The symptoms i'm seeing now are absolutely identical to what occurred last fall. My relay and battery are brand new. I'll check the voltage of the battery this weekend when I have time to dig into it. The battery was at 12.4v when I installed it, if it's down significantly, could this be due to some other component essentially killing other components such as the battery and/or relay? Would the voltage regulator do this? My bike starts and runs absolutely fine by kickstart. 

1 minute ago, 91kdx25088 said:

if it was your stator it would never start.

This is the type of answer I was looking for. The bike starts and runs as good as ever by kickstart. What about the voltage regulator? Do you know what symptoms a failed voltage regulator may present? I just replaced the battery relay and battery. 

1 minute ago, motonack said:

This is the type of answer I was looking for. The bike starts and runs as good as ever by kickstart. What about the voltage regulator? Do you know what symptoms a failed voltage regulator may present? I just replaced the battery relay and battery. 

I don't think the voltage regulator comes into play at all when starting your bike

Just now, 91kdx25088 said:

I don't think the voltage regulator comes into play at all when starting your bike

Alright. So essentially all the elements that affect the e-start loop would be the stator, e-start motor, battery, relay, and connectors. This is going to be tough lol. All of those I believe to be good. 

3 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

True, but overcharging the battery will destroy it in short order. I would check voltage while attempting to start the bike and check charging voltage if your certain all your connections are solid. 

• Like 2

So let me get this straight, the bike will not run if you lose a stator? 

When the stator goes, it's hiking time unless you have a spare?

Maybe grease the relay/connection points would be my only guess..

Edited by Casing-daily

I always charge my battery with it disconnected from the bike. So there would be no overcharging possible to the voltage regulator. The relay was brand new as of three weeks ago and all the terminals and bolts attaching everything were cleaned before installation. My first plan of action will be checking the voltage on the battery and then seeing if there is any serious fluctuation to the voltage when hitting the button.

1 hour ago, motonack said:

My first plan of action will be checking the voltage on the battery and then seeing if there is any serious fluctuation to the voltage when hitting the button.

on my 250F, there was no charging while the engine was running, it essentially was a total dead-loss system.
There will always be a big voltage drop when starting due to the starter motor's load.

I'd expect to see a fair bit of drop while cranking. Still should be up north of 10 volts imo.

Try it this way.....

Charge battery up and fit it to the bike .

If the regulator has failed it can literally seep your battery's power away to earth overnight. 

Recheck the volts from the battery following day to see. If the battery is still fully charged start looking at the output on the stator. 

If the stator isn't charging the battery it could be on its way out but the bike will still be making enough juice to run itself .

Check the leads to earth and starter motor as any bad kinked/chafed cable can cause problems . (Isn't their a thicker upgrade kit on those models?)

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:18 PM, Casing-daily said:

So let me get this straight, the bike will not run if you lose a stator? 

When the stator goes, it's hiking time unless you have a spare?

Maybe grease the relay/connection points would be my only guess..

as far as I know every ktm that had a failed stator wouldn't let the bike start. the weird thing with mine was it happened after I parked it. went for a ride and everything was fine, next week I went to ride and it wouldn't start. not sure if that typical or not of a failed ktm stator. perhaps I got real lucky.

Edited by 91kdx25088
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 10:33 PM, sandking11 said:

Try it this way.....

Charge battery up and fit it to the bike .

If the regulator has failed it can literally seep your battery's power away to earth overnight. 

Recheck the volts from the battery following day to see. If the battery is still fully charged start looking at the output on the stator. 

If the stator isn't charging the battery it could be on its way out but the bike will still be making enough juice to run itself .

Check the leads to earth and starter motor as any bad kinked/chafed cable can cause problems . (Isn't their a thicker upgrade kit on those models?)

Ignition winding on the stator is separate fromthe charging and lighting windings.

• Like 2

Thought as much but wasn't sure on those ktm''s.  So if the lighting stator has failed the bike would still run perfectly well.