Is a revalue worth it

My bike seems to be okay but I'm starting to hit bigger jumps and I'm not sure if the stock suspension will hold up it's a 2003 yz250

A few considerations before you can determine if a revalve could be beneficial:

- the stock spring rates are meant for about a 180lbs rider so too stiff for you at 140lbs

- if the front/rear suspension haven't been refurbished in the last 40 or so hours of use (MX),

(oil, seals, bushings, nitrogen recharged) they are way overdue and their performance has degraded 

Only after all of the above have been taken care of 

can you determine if despite all clicker and fork oil volume adjustments 

the suspension still doesn't perform as you expect it and, requires a re-valve.

Edited by mlatour

I just did rear and front shock rebuild around 5 hours ago, it does fine but I'm considering 20+foot jumps. I just don't want to go to big and it not hold up

On large jumps, any harshness you may feel will perhaps not be from bottoming but

more likely the suspension being set up too stiff for your weight.

My buddy (130lbs) rode his '07 CRF250R for years thinking his suspension was 'ok' but a bit soft as he felt larger impacts

until last year when I convinced him to let me set it up on softer springs & valving.  (pretty much CRF250X specs)

Unlike before, now he uses up the whole travel of suspension to soak up bumps/jumps, not just 3/4 of the stroke.

I think stock spring rate should be fine for your weight, especially jumps.  As mentioned previously, you need to determine if you are using all of your suspension travel.  If not then you need to add some fork oil.  Fork oil level is what controls bottoming more so than spring rate.  Fork spring rate is primarily for getting the Sag that you want, the ride height.  More spring rate will keep you in the upper part of the stroke.

There are a couple of ways to determine if you are using all of your fork travel.  Either a zip tie on the lower fork tube or front brake line.  You want it to be tight enough to stay put but also slide with some pressure applied to it.  There might even be some new modern high tech way to monitor this, maybe even an app, but I'm not aware of any.