Radiator Recommendations???

Broke a radiator last weekend on my '05 CRF 450X.  Luckily it was just a drip and I was able to ride 10 miles back to the truck.

I have Moose guards on (had now I guess,)  and would like to install something new when I get the new radiator on.

If I buy a cheap Tusk radiator are they worth it?  And will the Flatland radiator cages work with it?  Looks like some reviews have had a hard time fitting guards and cages over anything that isn't Honda OEM.  I'm not opposed to the Honda OE but like the price point of the aftermarkets a lot better.

IMG_2740.JPG

• Like 1

I have an 05 also and just put some that I bought of ebay. Oversize clean looking and fit real well. I paid 80 for both and so far they work great.
Where I'm at here in northern Utah it's allot of slow, steep, rocky roads and no heat problems yet. Actually runs better than with the stock radiators.

Thanks, are you using any guards or cages?

That sounds a lot like the same terrain I ride around here in southern and central Idaho.

• Like 1

Ya I have the Devol on right now but I think I'll get some of the Moose cages. The Devol's help but they will fold up. I've straightened mine a few times.

On my 125 I'm gonna try cheapO Chinese and when they bend beyond function I'll get another pair. These are definitely a consumable item to say the least! Radiator guards are good for small tip overs but don't help much for big hits. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info fellas!  The Moose were what I had on there but I definitely sent it head on hard right into the rock it hit.  I know they had saved me several times before.

I bought the GPI brand (I think that's it) off eBay for like $80.  So far so good.  They were a tad larger, and I'll have to make some mods to fit my oversized tank, but other than that it installs beautifully.

• Like 2

Bobert99, I was in your spot a couple of months ago. Had a bent left radiator on the left that pretty much looked exactly like yours. Decided to try the TUSK and installed it with no problem. Nice looking and functions fine. I went ahead and bought the set because it was cheaper than buying each individually and having a spare couldn't hurt!

I then sent my bent one to MYLERS radiator repair in Utah to have straightened to see how they would do. They did a great job, almost can't tell it was ever bent. They straightened and pressure tested then returned for about $84 with shipping. Now I have the OEM as a spare and will continue to test the performance of the TUSK. So either way I think you will be satisfied.

Hope this helps,

Eric #33

• Like 2

Thanks Eric, the Tusk and sending it out were exactly what I was really looking into doing.  I'll probably do the same thing and get the oe repaired too just to have a backup.

thanks a lot for all the feedback.

unabike gaurds work really well since the their bracing is triangulated  back to the frame. 

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised they don't make "sliders" (like what's used on street bikes) for dirt bikes to protect the radiators.  Or do they?  If they do, link please

I've seen them on super motor but not for dirt. Don't think they would work so well on rocks. Just be something sticking out that would get ripped off

• Like 1