2017 Beta 500 RR-S Exhaust options. Dual map mode?

Are the exhaust the same for models 2010 and up? Not vary many options out there. Has anyone unpacked the stock exhaust or had a look inside to see if flow can be improved? I've been searching for info on the dry and wet map switch but there isn't much to be found. Looking to see if a full exhaust is installed, can it be remapped and will the switch become useless?

The bike is Air/Fuel mapped to the stock (Arrow) exahaust, and it's done very well.  Flat power, with a little mid pull/hump.

If you change the exhaust, it will run worse (very lean) until you get it mapped to the FMF map, because the stock exhaust is not a stright flow exhaust. No point in modding it...

The map switch is just a change in ignition timing, not in Air/Fuel ratio, so it will not work for pipe changes. If you install a new Map into the ECU, the map swtich still functions.

The FMP Q4 and Power Core both improve the power and throttle response over stock, at the expense of about 6 more db of sound (10 more with the PC).

The only other pipes available are the Boano (Spark of Italy) (a serious step backwards...), the Akrapovic ($1200...) and the other Arrow model, which is closer to the FMF Q4, for 3 times the money....

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

The bike is Air/Fuel mapped to the stock (Arrow) exahaust, and it's done very well.  Flat power, with a little mid pull/hump.

If you change the exhaust , it will run worse (very lean) until you get it mapped to the FMF map, because the stock exhaust is not a stright flow exhaust. No point in modding it...

The map switch is just a change in ignition timing, not in Air/Fuel ratio, so it will not work for pipe changes. If you install a new Map into the ECU, the map swtich still functions.

The FMP Q4 and Power Core both improve the power and throttle response over stock, at the expense of about 6 more db of sound (10 more with the PC).

The only other pipes available are the Boano (Spark of Italy) (a serious step backwards...), the Akrapovic ($1200...) and the other Arrow model, which is closer to the FMF Q4, for 3 times the money....

Thank you for replying. Great info! Whats 10 more with PC?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Neighbor pissing-off units

Who currently re-maps Beta's?

On 5/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, jamve said:

Are the exhaust the same for models 2010 and up? Not vary many options out there. Has anyone unpacked the stock exhaust or had a look inside to see if flow can be improved? I've been searching for info on the dry and wet map switch but there isn't much to be found. Looking to see if a full exhaust is installed, can it be remapped and will the switch become useless?

So  for a 500 there's a slip on fmf. ..just off the top on betausa accesories . I didn't look deeper for power goodies . I will say that I have an fmf for my 525 Beta. It's smaller and louder and lighter and looks good..' but I dont think the increased noise is an improvement. I don't notice a difference in much power at all. It's more noise . I'm tempted to just go back to stock.. but the fmf is ok with the insert in. My 350 race rr came with an fmf and I wish I had another quieter slip on.. I just don't want to spend much more for now since the bike works good.. quieter would be better though . Eventually I'll find a quieter choice slip on . From what I can tell few if any have put effort into trying to make the 500 faster.. at least I haven't seen any threads on it. The 500 is pretty fast stock. I know there were some that made bigger bores with the earlier ktm rfs motored big bore Beta. Some went 540 or 560 bigger bore from places like thumper racing. I know the newest gen 500 Beta is faster than my 525..more mid and top supposedly. I didnt spend time comparing the mid and top on the newest big bore. I'd like to.. 

I sort of think what for also....The bike is plenty fast and easy to ride..... but any avenue of change is good to investigate.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

For the FMF systems that are too loud, all you need is to slip in one of these available from FMF. Some bikes run even better with it! 

Like others said dealer can re-map it for you and yes the map switch still works. 

IMG_1986.PNG

• Like 1

Funny I purposely did not want to do anything to my motor on my 525 . It worked awesome for offroad as is and I knew the 525 had options for hop up that were easy to access if I wanted to later. Ktm had used them extensively for offroad and motocross with a wide variety of gearbox choices. I had also read of others who had gone aggressive in making the bike go more like a fire breathing dragon.. and for my riding that just screwed up the motor manners that make Beta a better choice .. I guess it's great for wide open fire roads and maybe some mx type stuff .. even then an aggressive bike doesn't make a guy faster.. doesnt make me faster in long races which is what I do more. The reason for going big bore was to eliminate making the bike harder to ride.. for me at least..  This and some other threads on hop up of big bore may or may not apply.. just throwing it in here since it's sort of related.

I've noticed this fitting seems to accumulate some dirt around it. Is there a mod for it? I've capped the same type of fitting that used to feed the charcoal canister.

IMG_6146.JPG

On 5/11/2017 at 6:05 PM, WILLY THE WORT said:

If you change the exhaust, it will run worse (very lean) until you get it mapped to the FMF map, because the stock exhaust is not a stright flow exhaust. No point in modding it...

Good info! Thanks!