Hello fellow riders. I have come to a point in life where i want a 250 2 stroke. Right now I have a KTM SXF 250 that is a phenomenal bike. This bike is strictly used for track riding, terrible on trails. Anyways, I am looking for a 250 2 stroke that would be used for trail riding. I have around a $1500 budget. I would preferably like a 2000+ but open to all suggestions. I will be doing most of the work on the bike myself. Open to ALL suggestions/ input. Let me know what you think the best option for me would be! Thanks!

Ben

Hello fellow riders. I have come to a point in life where i want a 250 2 stroke. Right now I have a KTM SXF 250 that is a phenomenal bike. This bike is strictly used for track riding, terrible on trails. Anyways, I am looking for a 250 2 stroke that would be used for trail riding. I have around a $1500 budget. I would preferably like a 2000+ but open to all suggestions. I will be doing most of the work on the bike myself. Open to ALL suggestions/ input. Let me know what you think the best option for me would be! Thanks!

Ben

Everyone has their personal preference and mine is Yamaha. Nasty engine with a smooth feel. But my suggestion to you is if possible, try to ride a couple different bikes if you know people who have any and see what you like the best. The only problem with this is that their bikes are going to be set up for their own size/riding style so it won't feel the same as it would if you set it up yourself but it will give you a pretty good baseline.

I actually went and checked out a 1997 cr250 for $1000. Bike had a few problems, and the guy would no budge on price. i like the feel of the CR, but would like to get one 2000+. Yamaha has always had a special place in my heart, but they are very hard to find for a reasonable price. guess i just have to keep looking. Thanks for the input! 

• Like 2

I like yz best but the 99-01 kx250 is also a good bike. It has a pretty smooth motor and softish suspension for that era of mx bikes so it works well on trails, I had one a few years ago.

The Hondas are ok too. With only 1500 bucks to spend your going to have to buy whatever pops up in good condition or wait a while to get what you want as that's a pretty low price for a good bike that doesn't need a pile of work.

I just posted this link in the other thread - http://dirtbikemagazine.com/the-10-best-used-2-strokes/

Doesn't really address trail riding directly, but explains the characteristics which might help. Per some research I did, older KDX's  might be a good option for trail riding. And I've found them in that price range locally. As big lake suggested, in that price range, I'm realizing that one would have to either spend some money or wait for an exceptionally good deal.

Honestly if I were you I'd save up another 500-$800 to get a better bike. A 03+ yz250 is a good bike or a cr250 and the rm250s are nice as well. But for $1500 your probably going to get a bike that's probably going to need work.

• Like 2

Do you like the number 7 or 13 better? It's really a preference thing. They're all good bikes. 1500$ bike will need work. $2500$ also needs work. Decide how much you're willing to expend. All used bikes need work unless they were only ridden 10 hours. None of those are 2500$ bikes.

Thanks for the input. I just want it to be reliable. I want to be able to take it on a farely long trail ride and not have to worry about it. Once i get it i will go through it see what it needs. I want to get something preferably thats been sitting more then its been ridden

Look for the cheapest bike possible, perhaps even a blown up unit. The reason being, you should plan to put additional money into what ever you buy. A $2000, ten year old + MX bike will likely need chassis bearings, suspension service, plus the usual nickle and dime bs. Your​ best bet is to buy something and completely disassemble, inspect and replace worn items as needed during assembly. That is the only way to truly know what you have.

Bear in mind (I see you're from Cali), any two stroke is going to be red sticker in the woods. You're going to be banned from the trails for several months out of the year.. Just a thought.

• Like 1

@OLHILLBILLY

good thing to bring up! However,

only two strokes 2003 and after are red, 2002 and prior any two stroke is green sticker eligible.any mx 4 stroke 03 and after is red only, as well as the serious xc bikes. There's a few higher elevation woods riding areas that don't mind the red/green rule as well. It is a PITA, and makes 2002 and prior bikes value more than they should be in ca. 

• Like 2