Jump to content

YZ250F Being Used for Off-Road (Mountain Trails)

Recommended Posts

I'm shopping for a new motorcycle and after being on KTM 2-strokes for a long time, I'm thinking of changing things up completely with a YZ250FX. 

But they're hard to find, apparently (and I'm not buying new - ideally want a *super clean* used 15 or 16). 

That said, the regular 250F is way more plentiful and all over here locally. 

I ride and race off-road. Rocky, technical, tight and/or fast single track. Swapping to an 18" wheel is easy, a bigger tank may not even be necessary and although I'd love to have e-start, I've kicked my entire life and I'm sure I can keep doing it. 

Who is using the 250F for off-road and what did you do to it? My biggest concern is suspension. I'm 170 without gear and ride at the A level, and I feel like even the stock moto settings can probably be opened up enough to make it work pretty well, given how great its supposed to be out of the box as-is. 

Only other thing I would be missing out on is the trans, but I don't care too much about that either. 

I'd just like to hear from anyone that is riding this in tough off-road settings; I'm really hesitant, but think it would be a good time. Or I'll just go right back to an orange 2-stroke....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bike is great.  I've had FC do my 14 suspension and it's amazing in the rocks.  I did 18 rear wheel also.  Some of our PA enduro's are very rocky and the bike is fine.  No matter how hot it gets it starts right up if you stall.  I love the light weight.  In fact I just bought a 17 and every one said get the fx but I see no reason for the extra 18 lbs.  You will need a revalve to ride in those conditions.  Trans is great in the rocks I like tighter mx trans.  Gives me more options in regards to what gear to be in.  I can't stand gappy transmissions.  I can short shift and it still responds greatly.  I'm a 200lb A rider and FC nailed the suspension.  It stays up in the stroke but is soooo plush. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need a revalve, so factor that into the cost difference. I ride the same type of terrain and am torn on the FX trans. The super low first couple gears are nice for the super technical stuff, but in the quicker single track I really don't like the 3-4 gap. I find I'm ringing out 3rd gear higher than I typically like to ride, because 4th will be such a drop. It's not apples to apples, but when I ride my 450F (14) in the woods, I like the close shifts, but don't like how tall first gear is. Granted that's a 450, so I'd imagine (but not sure) that 1st gear is taller on it than the 250F.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goatse said:

The super low first couple gears are nice for the super technical stuff, but in the quicker single track I really don't like the 3-4 gap. 

i think you are confused.   the yz250f 1,2 ratios are very tall, and it does share a 3rd gear ratio with the wr and fx, but does NOT have as much a gap between 3rd and 4th as the fx and wr do. so i'm not sure what you are referring to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i think you are confused.   the yz250f 1,2 ratios are very tall, and it does share a 3rd gear ratio with the wr and fx, but does NOT have as much a gap between 3rd and 4th as the fx and wr do. so i'm not sure what you are referring to. 


I'm referring to the transmission in the FX. I edited my post to clarify.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

# yzf
1st 2.143 (30/14)
2nd 1.750 (28/16)
3rd 1.444 (26/18)
4th 1.222 (22/18) 
5th 1.042 (25/24)


# yzfx/wrf
1st 2.385 (31/13)
2nd 1.813 (29/16)
3rd 1.444 (26/18)
4th 1.143 (24/21)
5th 0.957 (22/23)
6th 0.815 (22/27)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BIG_FAT_&_SLOW said:

The bike is great.  I've had FC do my 14 suspension and it's amazing in the rocks.  I did 18 rear wheel also.  Some of our PA enduro's are very rocky and the bike is fine.  No matter how hot it gets it starts right up if you stall.  I love the light weight.  In fact I just bought a 17 and every one said get the fx but I see no reason for the extra 18 lbs.  You will need a revalve to ride in those conditions.  Trans is great in the rocks I like tighter mx trans.  Gives me more options in regards to what gear to be in.  I can't stand gappy transmissions.  I can short shift and it still responds greatly.  I'm a 200lb A rider and FC nailed the suspension.  It stays up in the stroke but is soooo plush. 

Ok then this brings up another question then: does the FX's valving adequately cater to what I'm looking for in technical rocky riding?

FC suspension work would be great, but at $1200 or whatever it would be, no way I'm doing that. 

My other concern is resale. I just sold my spotless KTM 250XC for full asking price in less than 24 hours. 250F are all over and don't seem to move which is a major pain when the time comes. Totally irrelevant to this post but a concern no-less. 

Also though - in stock form I assume the initial travel and maybe even mid-stroke are just way too harsh?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stock suspension is still good off road, but rocks require very soft settings compared to anything else.

I have a 14, 18" rear, revalved suspension (done myself), 50t rear sprocket. 

One thing these bikes don't like is very steep loose or rocky hill climbs, they take a lot more skill to climb than riding say a KTM300 or WR250F. Otherwise they are great everywhere else, and when the track opens up they are magic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok then this brings up another question then: does the FX's valving adequately cater to what I'm looking for in technical rocky riding?

 

 

My favourite riding is gnarly rock/mountains (I ride in the Rocky Mountains) and the FX suspension is so good I'm afraid to try a revalve. The clickers actually go a long way in suiting varied terrain as well. From fast whooped out stuff, to slow rocky terrain the clickers have the range to be able to get the bike to react quite well.

 

We were down in Moab and I forgot to change my clickers from the 'fast' (more closed) setting and 200' into the trail I was hating life and being bounced all over the trail. I pulled over, opened the clickers to a softer setting, and boom. Completely different bike with traction for days and held lines much better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, there's a reason the FX is hard to find used. People don't let go of them, and if they do they're snagged up quickly. They're a great bike, and their availability shows that. Be patient, or buy new. Whichever route you take, you will NOT regret it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Goatse said:

Also, there's a reason the FX is hard to find used. People don't like go of them, and if they do they're snagged up quickly. They're a great bike, and their availability shows that. Be patient, or buy new. Whichever route you take, you will NOT regret it.

Yeah I can see that - when I first started looking there were 3 available locally in our local classifieds and vanished quickly. Nothing else has came back up except an overworked and overpriced one with a big bore kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

One thing these bikes don't like is very steep loose or rocky hill climbs, they take a lot more skill to climb than riding say a KTM300 or WR250F. Otherwise they are great everywhere else, and when the track opens up they are magic. 

Why does the 250F like hill climbs ?  The FX does fine for as much power as it has.  Once you gear it down a bit.  I've found that I can tip toe an FX up stuff that the 2 strokes spin on.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can save a bundle on a newer YZ250F while still buying a rekluse and doing up the suspension then go for it. However it will still lack a lighting stator, wide ratio gears, easy plug and play for a fan, and electric start. There's other sacrifices too but not worth mentioning above those. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

Why does the 250F like hill climbs ?  The FX does fine for as much power as it has.  Once you gear it down a bit.  I've found that I can tip toe an FX up stuff that the 2 strokes spin on.

I'm talking about the YZ250F, the subject of this thread. The YZ250FX is a cake walk to get up hills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

I'm talking about the YZ250F, the subject of this thread.

I get that.   Why isn't the YZ250F good on hills ?

The YZ250FX is a cake walk to get up hills.

No, the YZ450FX is a cake walk to get up hills.  The YZ250FX takes some skill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

I get that.   Why isn't the YZ250F good on hills ?

 

 

No, the YZ450FX is a cake walk to get up hills.  The YZ250FX takes some skill.

Its the combination of a tall first gear, light flywheel and firm suspension. Steep hills require holding the throttle on in the meat of the power and working the clutch hard.

I'm about to put a WRF gearbox in one of my older YZs so it will be interesting to see how much easier it makes those steep tricky hills.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

Its the combination of a tall first gear, light flywheel and firm suspension. Steep hills require holding the throttle on in the meat of the power and working the clutch hard.

I'm about to put a WRF gearbox in one of my older YZs so it will be interesting to see how much easier it makes those steep tricky hills.  

Before you tear into the transmission, regear to 12/52 or so and see how you like it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

Before you tear into the transmission, regear to 12/52 or so and see how you like it. 

ridiculous..  so his bike will only go 45 miles an hour?  jezus christ my god learn how to use a clutch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 8:40 PM, kga109 said:

I'm shopping for a new motorcycle and after being on KTM 2-strokes for a long time, I'm thinking of changing things up completely with a YZ250FX. 

But they're hard to find, apparently (and I'm not buying new - ideally want a *super clean* used 15 or 16). 

That said, the regular 250F is way more plentiful and all over here locally. 

I ride and race off-road. Rocky, technical, tight and/or fast single track. Swapping to an 18" wheel is easy, a bigger tank may not even be necessary and although I'd love to have e-start, I've kicked my entire life and I'm sure I can keep doing it. 

Who is using the 250F for off-road and what did you do to it? My biggest concern is suspension. I'm 170 without gear and ride at the A level, and I feel like even the stock moto settings can probably be opened up enough to make it work pretty well, given how great its supposed to be out of the box as-is. 

Only other thing I would be missing out on is the trans, but I don't care too much about that either. 

I'd just like to hear from anyone that is riding this in tough off-road settings; I'm really hesitant, but think it would be a good time. Or I'll just go right back to an orange 2-stroke....

if you're truly a A level rider you should be able to ride the piss out of a stock yz250f in the woods. it's just that simple, it might take some getting used to but it's a very fast bike in the woods. if you have no need to go over 65mph don't worry about the tranny, first is very tall but if you know how to use a clutch don't sweat it.  you'll adapt.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×