Idle problems

My 2012 CRF 450r seems to be running funny. I noticed yesterday when idling then kicking it into first the rpm's drop off to about half the idle. Ive been trying to turn idle screw up. So now when in 1st gear while holding clutch in (stopped) bike is pulling like it wants to go. I dialed idle down a lot but still wants to pull while stopped in 1st gear. I also noticed last week when in neutral during trail riding it would stall out. This is why I had idle turned up. Any help would be great!

Sounds like you may have 2 problems:

The trying to go forward with it in gear and the clutch pulled in, may be a notched clutch basket, or clutch out of adjustment.

When it stalled in neutral, was it idled down low at the time trying to compensate for the  creeping forward problem?  Although it was in neutral when it stalled, did it stall while idling, or, although it was in neutral, did you maybe hit the throttle and it stalled?

3 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Sounds like you may have 2 problems:

The trying to go forward with it in gear and the clutch pulled in, may be a notched clutch basket, or clutch out of adjustment.

When it stalled in neutral, was it idled down low at the time trying to compensate for the  creeping forward problem?  Although it was in neutral when it stalled, did it stall while idling, or, although it was in neutral, did you maybe hit the throttle and it stalled?

Notched clutch baskets are very common on that bike.  I went with the easier suggestion first, so many people never ever touch their clutch cable and adjusters.  As for an issue with idling, that bike is FI so that could be another whole problem that needs diagnosing.

Thanks so much for replying guys. Just joined the forum. When it stalled out in trails last week these two issues weren't happening. Once I adjusted the idle it was fine in the trails. After cleaning the bike, changing to new plastics and putting on new front brake pads is when it started. I took it out for a ride and noticed it was pulling. Now for clutch adjustment are you referring to the dial on the clutch? The one that makes your  pull either long or short? Or is it something inside the motor? Im going to get out there today and fidget with it. Bike is a month old and Ive only ridden it once besides taking it on street at home.