Sign in to follow this  

Project bike:Removing the crank

So the gearchange issue that caused me to split the case has taken a turn for the worse. Looks like a previous owner broke off the captive nut/boss near the chain sprocket that holds the gear return bolt. They'd bodged this back, not sure if it ever worked but it's not up to my standards.

So i can have the case welded or get a s/hand one. either route requires me to remove the crank which the manual helpfully says leave to a dealer.

Has anyone any advice on tips as to whether this is a DIY proposition or not ?

Post a pic of the damage to the nut/boss. Removing the crank after splitting the cases is not hard to do. Or, are you talking about a crank rebuild ? Do you have a Honda XR400 shop manual ? If not, you can find one online, free. It's a 100 MB pdf file.

Edited by nomad221

the problem with a repair here is that the gear change return bolt has to be spot on, or the shifts won't work - i've tried various combinations but it's practicallyt impossible to get it dead on.

i found the honda manual thanks - i see it says a press to remove the crank and a special tool to reinsert it - have you done it using regular tools ?

CrankCaseHole.JPG

of course getting the crank out isn't really an issue, i can cut the case up if needs be - it's scrap

actually the crank and balancer came out easily - just awaiting the replacement casing and we'll see how readily it wants to go back together.

With new crank bearings installed, I used a longer flywheel metric bolt, a deep well socket and a large flat washer covering the bearing to install the crank. It was a smooth install.

• Like 1