Crawdaddy hill and the Endless Parade of perfect trail - GT 5/12/17

so the day starts out, thinking I am riding alone today. Stop at Morton's get Breakfast and Lunch Sandwiches, then swing by the Ranger station to take a crap.  After that, come out and see Ranger John Jue is hanging out. Gotta say hello to John. We talk stories and old times doing trail maintenance.   and there is a cute lady ranger buzing around too.  John introduces me to another ranger Tom,  we chat it up and Tom says to me, they have to do some work on Rock Lobster, the rains have rutted out a section.  He asks me do you know that trail?    I said Yeah I named it.    oH really,  Yup Back in 2004, I named it and the goat trail and the view trail too.  He was impressed.  He talks some other trail, not sure but he wanted to call it the wild weasel. I said ok by me.  He was jazzed.

So I head out to Darling ridge,  Get staged and Here comes a big truck and KTM up the road. It's Big Dane. He's saw my TT ride post and wants to ride!   Very cool, we got a two some now.  So we get after it.  The trails were endless and perfect.   We had a blast.    We also rode down to the Deep water, to see the new bridge.  Good thing, Rock Creek water was running high, the deep water was impassable.   We look up the Long rocky climb out trail on the other side of the deep water and Big Dane asks me is that the Rock Lobster, and he had been on it before.  I said no.  I had not named that trail yet.    So I decide right there, to name it Crawdaddy Hill.    Its a good trail, long lean and rocky climb  for a good mile or so.  Crawdaddy!   Mark it down, you heard it first.  

So  we decide though to stay on the west side, and left Crawdaddy for another day,  returned up the ridge and rode the rest of 1-2 and over to Mace mill loop 3 too, back again for more Endless Parade of Perfect trails.    Only us and two other guys out at Georgetown on this Friday cheaters day off!    Thanks Dane for coming out!!      45 miles of pure fun.

"Another new day dawns, another sunset fades
It's like an endless parade"   _ Govt Mule Blues

here ya go the Deep water crossing, new bridge and the Crawdaddy climb out

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 3

And......  the Endless Parade of perfect trails today! :ride:

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 2

more....... 

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5577.JPG

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1

and to close the day out, I stopped back at Mortons and got a beer,  then later saw this sign, to claim the end of a perfect ride day.   Breakfast, Lunch and Beer,   

Let's ride again.    Crawdaddy is waiting for the King Bee.

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

• Like 1

I got a later start today.. kept an eye for the Burg.. Getting dusty already. 4 was pretty beat out from the Enduro traffic. 

Only trial worth pictures.. 

e6F0dkN.jpg

BJXNyYF.jpg

2ZVBMNT.jpg

So nice with the new bridge. :lol:

zf66eWe.jpg

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 4

Looks like a great place to ride.  Might have to make a trek up there one day.

Isn't riding a trail a requirement before naming it though? :excuseme:

Looks like a great place to ride.  Might have to make a trek up there one day.

Isn't riding a trail a requirement before naming it though? :excuseme:

Oh I have rode up and down Crawdaddy many times.... its a fun 2nd gear rocky slutty flowy run 3rd gear for close ratio bikes
  • Like 1

I got a later start today.. kept an eye for the Burg.. Getting dusty already. 4 was pretty beat out from the Enduro traffic. 

Only trial worth pictures.. 

e6F0dkN.jpg

BJXNyYF.jpg

2ZVBMNT.jpg

So nice with the new bridge. :lol:

zf66eWe.jpg

flume trail! in the Spring is beautiful. I need to get over to the east side soon

When is the best time of year for this area?  Are there good camping options?  What are the temps like during the day?

like any where, spring and fall are best in between rains so the trails are tacky.  Summer gets dusty, but trails are still same.  We ride there all year.    They have wet season closures for snow and rain, for 48 hours of drying.   Summer temps as high as 80s and 90s on hot days.  get a trail map at USFS ranger station on way up.

Fall after we've gotten enough rain to knock the dust down is about as good as it gets all through the mountains I think. 

• Like 1

My "old seasoned rider" routine is to ride Georgetown on my 2T ever ride... then I hit all the other areas at least once a year.. T6, CB, WST and Downie. 

Yesterday I did  a variation of the "Slyko noob eliminator route"  Stage at Mace - 6 clockwise to 1 to 8 to 9 to 4 to 5 corners then 5 to flume (1-4) to 1-6 to 1-2 then deep water crossing and 1 back to mace... Easy 1 hour loop.  :devil:

• Like 2