YZ250FX height

I am 6 1 and find myself on my tippy toes just sitting on the seat. How do you guys deal with this in the woods?

Run 110 to 112 sag. I'm 5'11" and have no issues. Do you have short legs? 

I'm 6'0" and I'm running the Yamaha low seat. It's a complete seat and I found it a few months ago for $105 at BikeBandit. Makes it easier to stay up off the seat when doing a quick dab to regain balance in slow technical stuff and less seat kicking you in the ass on high speed log crossings.

Dont take feet off the pegs.

You must ride some easy shiz.
  • Like 1

Balance my friend. Balance.

In all seriousness though; I am 5'11. Standard seat height, no lowering link. I get by just fine. When you have to put your foot down, just do it. Dont over think it.

6'2" and it is the tallest bike I have ridden. Not a big deal for the most part, but when I get into the rocky, rooty, step up stuff, I notice the height and it can be tough to plant a foot sometimes. Also with pivot turns, the height makes the bike feel top heavy and big under you.

• Like 1

Wow.

I'm 5'5".

I guess it's all relative to what you have known your whole life, and I can only imagine what it would be like riding a long-travel dirt bike at 6 feet tall.

• Like 1

I'm 5"7 and have just gotten used to it. I do pretty well for the most part but I did buy the lower seat. I'm pretty much 1 foot on the peg and the other on my toes. Don't really need 2 feet on the ground.

Rode yesterday where there was just a hair scramble. It had rained and was deep ruts. I was having trouble getting thrown around alot and was the only time I wish the bike was lower.

I'm 6'1" as well. I won a yama link for the 450fx. Can't wait to put it on... this bike is too tall for riding technical stuff. I've had more tip overs than I can ever remember having because of the height. I have the race link, not the lowering link. 

Thanks guys. This thread really highlights the difference in terrain we all ride. I think some really don't know what technical is.

• Like 3

I'm 6'1" as well. I won a yama link for the 450fx. Can't wait to put it on... this bike is too tall for riding technical stuff. I've had more tip overs than I can ever remember having because of the height. I have the race link, not the lowering link. 

Let me know how it works out for u. how much it effects ur bike. If you like it, if you needed to change any springs. I've thought of doing the same

I'm 5'9 and my bike is standard height/seat. I just use my last bit of momentum to decide what foot I'm going to land on and aim for it. 

Just because people are shorter then you it doesn't mean they don't know what technical riding is. Shorties have been dealing with tall bikes for 20 years. The most part is staying standing on the pegs for as long as possible, learning when your about to stop and planing for it. Looking for rocks, logs, ruts or trees to stop against if you are loosing balance. Even sliding your ass off the side of the seat if you have to. 

It's hard enough having small short legs, loosing ground clearence and getting hung up more is the last thing I want. 

• Like 3

It's a tall bike and if you don't have good balance you're going to tip over on alot on it.

A buddy who's 5'5" never tips over on his.

• Like 1

I'm 5'8" with short legs and had both my forks and shock lowered 1" by my suspension tuner which helps a lot.  I ride extremely technical terrain here in the NW because there are steep hills everywhere -  and I tip over usually once or twice a ride.  I hate it when it happens but deal with it. Oh and I have the Yamaha short seat on order.

• Like 2

I didn't say short people

On 5/13/2017 at 6:27 PM, 2banga said:

I'm 5'9 and my bike is standard height/seat. I just use my last bit of momentum to decide what foot I'm going to land on and aim for it. 

Just because people are shorter then you it doesn't mean they don't know what technical riding is. Shorties have been dealing with tall bikes for 20 years. The most part is staying standing on the pegs for as long as possible, learning when your about to stop and planing for it. Looking for rocks, logs, ruts or trees to stop against if you are loosing balance. Even sliding your ass off the side of the seat if you have to. 

It's hard enough having small short legs, loosing ground clearence and getting hung up more is the last thing I want. 

I didn't say anything about short people.

• Like 1

I am 5  10 and have the same problem, I running 118mm sag makes my free sag at 33mm, ( I know my spring is to soft but it works great) and raised my forks up 10mm, its an easy fix for now, Racetech sells rear shock spacer kits 2mm to 14mm on amazon for like $26 you can install, thats my next project but then I will have to buy a $100 stiffer spring to.l 

6 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I didn't say short people

I didn't say anything about short people.

No, but you started insinuating that people don't know what terrain is what when some experts in this area (short people) started offering you advice.

7 hours ago, 2banga said:

No, but you started insinuating that people don't know what terrain is what when some experts in this area (short people) started offering you advice.

You must be short? Knuckle dragger?

• Like 2