Fav GPS emergency beacon for solo woods riding

Thinking I'd like some electronics if I get myself in trouble to at least say my goodbyes. Are  there any new developments in this tech that have caught your eye?

Tia

ACR ResQLink PLB on my pack.

One-way "Come get me" comms, same 406MHz international system that aircraft and boats use.  Two-way radio's for two-way comms; channel I'm monitoring is in my PLB's registration. 

DSC_4272_-L.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mauro_arriagada said:

Any new GPS with everything integrated?

The inreach (before garmin bought them) was good stuff. Now they have an "almost all in one" but added the "you're stupid, here's the garmin tax!" On top of it and are selling it as an all in one. The reviews are proving to not be nice to them. That and the fact that they are showing $50 phones as the main source for navigation for their $500 units....

Maybe a plb is a better idea

• Like 2

Nice article. The "They generally require an open view of the sky to transmit successfully" for both is concerning if you are in a PNW FS road full of pines.

That REI article is a good comparison between the two. 

PLB is its own thing, does only one thing and does it well.  The built-in battery means I don't have to charge/maintain it - one less thing to worry about when I'm packing for a trip.  As the article mentions, it's emergency-use-only. 

GPS, phone, and two-way all have use in an emergency, but they do have their limitations.

Messengers (SPOT/InReach) have features the PLB doesn't, if those features are important to you then that may be a better tool for your scenario. 

DSC02350-L.jpg