Turbo crf450 go kart build

I'm building a crf450 gokart turbo. I already made some thing turbo manifold  downpipe welder the coolant temp sensor  for the microsquirt. I was at first going to turbo charge my crf511 motor but changed my mind. I'm going to keep that motor as is. It has a ported head that I ported 1mm oversized valves springs and retainers. I have a 100mm cylinder works big bore and hotrod +3mm crank. I also have a 13.5 to 1 co piston but it's about 14 to 1 because the longer stroke.it also has a stage 3 hotcams in it the exhaust I custom made it myself. The turbo motor will have a stock stroke hotrods  crank with the 11.2 to 1 piston stage 3 cam port job valves it will be fuel injected via a microsquirt. I wanted to keep the stock bore so the cylinder could be stronger. Anyway here are some pics. I need to take a new one with the crf511 in it. I also made the motor mount myself.

20170511_181807.jpg

20170511_194804.jpg

20170512_091924.jpg

20170512_134212.jpg

20170512_134239.jpg

20170305_150913_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Finish the downpipe I had it tacked welder needed to direct the wastegate port into the downpipe.

20170513_122157.jpg

20170513_122108.jpg

15 hours ago, HRC27 said:

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Thx man

you gonna have any kind of scatter shield between you and the engine for when it finally let's go mid pass and puts a window in the block?

14 hours ago, jblob said:

you gonna have any kind of scatter shield between you and the engine for when it finally let's go mid pass and puts a window in the block?

Why do people always assume that things are going to blow up. In Puerto Rico they drag race gy6 honda clone motors some turbo some nitrous. You need to know how much you can push a motor. How to tune a motor where to make it stronger at. Yes things happen and you can blow anything up. But how many motors you think John force blew up. Sometimes you have to blow things up to see what went went wrong and were to make it stronger at. Main thing is you can't  be scared to go fast.

Here is a Lil example you don't want to know how many times I flipped it cashed it  blew motors and sac to get this fast but that's what it takes to go fast sometimes 

On 5/14/2017 at 6:39 AM, Tito Mercado said:

Why do people always assume that things are going to blow up. In Puerto Rico they drag race gy6 honda clone motors some turbo some nitrous. You need to know how much you can push a motor. How to tune a motor where to make it stronger at. Yes things happen and you can blow anything up. But how many motors you think John force blew up. Sometimes you have to blow things up to see what went went wrong and were to make it stronger at. Main thing is you can't  be scared to go fast.

Nothing to do with your tuning ability etc. Just a matter of adding boost to an already high strung motor and trying to push 100hp from .45L. eventually something is going to give. Could go 200 passes just fine. Could go 10 and snap a rod. Was just wondering about the safety factor and if the nhra had Any conditions of a scatter shield between engine and driver or similar

Edited by jblob

On May 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM, jblob said:

Nothing to do with your tuning ability etc. Just a matter of adding boost to an already high strung motor and trying to push 100hp from .45L. eventually something is going to give. Could go 200 passes just fine. Could go 10 and snap a rod. Was just wondering about the safety factor and if the nhra had Any conditions of a scatter shield between engine and driver or similar

I agree, this is a very cool build, but I wouldn't sit next to that motor...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 9:39 AM, Tito Mercado said:

These 450s already blow up often enough just by themselves. You're worried about the cylinder strength, but the rod/crank/piston are the real weak links here. When a 450 chucks a rod at 11,000 RPM, it makes a big mess.

No one is saying you shouldn't go ahead with the project, as it looks fun. They're just suggesting that you're going to want a piece of metal separating you from the engine in case it does blow. The last thing you want is to be sprayed with burning oil and chunks of metal while you're screaming along at over 100 kph.

• Like 1

That can happen but this can happen to no risk no reward. Just ordered another crf450 motor m only going to do the head work to it and throw 6psi at it. Yo also have to remember those guys are also throwing over 20psi of boost threw those motors. I'm going to start at 6psi and work my way up. I'm also thinking about installing a knock sensor on the motor and setup some fail safes on the ems.