'15 YZ250FX electric start doesn't work

So randomly my electric start doesn't work. When you press the starter button the fuel pump cycles but doesn't even try to turn over. The bike will start with the kicker though. 

So what are potential problems?

-clutch switch (could I bypass it by connecting wires together?

-starter switch bad? Even though the bikes primes when I hit it?

what else?

I experienced the same symptoms last year. Turned out being a couple corroded/separated wires that go into the backside of the connector that one of the relays plug into. It was one of the pair that are under the seat, right next to each other, not the one by itself on/by the sub frame.

On 13.05.2017 at 1:59 PM, indy rider said:

I experienced the same symptoms last year. Turned out being a couple corroded/separated wires that go into the backside of the connector that one of the relays plug into. It was one of the pair that are under the seat, right next to each other, not the one by itself on/by the sub frame.

I had the same problem! Look at the starter relay, it beside  the battery , Remove and clean the plug

17 hours ago, voldemar said:

I had the same problem! Look at the starter relay, it beside  the battery , Remove and clean the plug

Thanks guys for replies!  Will try those out and report back. 

I had the armatures go bad inside the motor.  Bought the bike used and the Estart didn't work.  replaced the armatures, fixed it for a little while, took it apart and cleaned when it started failing again, it is like $10 and some soldering to fix.  The next time it failed I just got a new starter motor.  I figured either the problem was with the starter motor (which had pretty bad commutator wear at the last cleaning) or there was something wrong with the bike that allowed too much oil into the start motor.  Due to the wear I ended up replacing the starter motor.  There is a thread on this in here somewhere.

It is an easy think to check, get a volt meter, ground one side, put the other on the wire coming to the starter, you will have to pull the cover off.  Should read 0 volts, hit the starter button, if it stays 0 volts there there is no electricity reaching the motor.  IF it does have voltage then electricity is getting to the motor but it isn't spinning.  Mine basically had the same voltage as the battery, no current flow = no voltage drop.

Well I've tried checking every plug and connection under the seat. No dice. 

I suppose i will try JoeT advice. Although I suspect some other electric gremlin as the starter was working fine previously. No signs of problems. 

Just because something WAS working, does not mean it is not broken now. When troubleshooting you need to look at everything.

Electrical issues on vehicles can be especially difficult.

Did you ever find the problem? My bike has the same issue.

I checked voltage getting to the start motor and there is none... The relay is good. The problem must lie between the start motor and relay.