Tusk enduro kit headlight connector.

I am installing the tusk enduro kit on my 2006 450f. The tusk wiring harness has three wires to connect to the headlight. I'm assuming the only way to connect the headlight to the tusk switch is to cut off the stock plug and direct wire it. Is that correct? I hate to cut off the stock plug. Also, if I do this will the headlight run off of battery only vs the stator?

Yes, you must cut and splice the bike's headlight wiring if you want to be able to control the on/off, hi/o function.

The Tusk headlight switch does not take any power from the Tusk wiring system. It is a universal set-up and you have to provide the power to the headlight switch. Many people just leave the stock bike headlight wiring alone because they don't need hi/low beam.

If you really need hi/lol then you must use the existing AC headlight wiring to avoid overloading the stock DC output of the stator. 

Here is a good video that describes how to do it: Tusk Headlight Switch Install

Edited by msowsun

I guess I'm going to have to look a little harder at my wiring harness because mine does not look like the one in the video. I have an H 4 style headlight on my 450. It has a three prong black connector that connects into the back of the headlight.

Here is what I have. In the diagram, it looks like there is a connector where you snip the wires. The only connector I see is the black one that connects directly to the headlight. Where is the connector shown in the diagram above?

073A0C58-AD4E-411E-B392-8F3DA45DF51D.JPG

• 2 years later...

Are you installing an entire Tusk Lighting system, or just the headlight wiring as per the thread title?

If you want to install the entire system, the Tusk Wiring kit is designed to be an Add-on.  You don't cut into any original wires.  The "On-Off" switch operation for the bike remains the same. All you do is attach two wires to the battery terminal to power up the Tusk system for turn signals, horn and brake light .  There is also an additional, separate on-off switch for the Tusk system.

It is possible to eliminate the ugly Tusk system On-Off switch, but you then have to wire the Tusk system to somewhere on the bike's original wiring.  One place people use is the tail light wiring as the tail light only comes on when you turn on the bike's original switch.

The stock WR450F headlight is AC powered, and only comes on when the engine is running. Most people just leave it alone when installing a Tusk lighting kit.  

If you are asking about just the re-wiring the headlight, you will need to explain a bit more about what you want to do. 

I put the tusk wire harness on and turn signals, horn I already have a head light and tail light but haven’t wired them in yet because i don’t know what’s high beam and low beam on oem wiring and same with the tail light and brake light, wish I had a schematic 

As I said earlier, The Tusk lighting kit is an ADD-ON. There is no reason to cut the OEM wires or change the OEM headlight wiring. The WR450F tail light is supposed to be removed and you install the Tusk tail light. It is also easier if you just leave the OEM headlight alone so it is always on when the bike is running. 

If you really want to wire up the the headlight to the new Tusk Off/Lo/Hi/ headlight switch, you could download a service manual where you can find the OEM wiring diagram. 

But you can just follow the instructions in this video:  

_001.jpg

Edited by msowsun