I know the 85 is preferred but can I make an 84 work for vintage cross country without a ton of money? Does this model have the dual carbs?

85 was if I am not mistaken a single carburetor.  So I think the specs given above are incorrect.  I have some manuals I can look at to make sure.  there was also a bore and stroke difference,  and that made the 85 a little better motor but harder to find pistons for at one time.  Either rig in decent shape is well worth getting assuming price is right.   

5 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Yes, the 85 was a big step forward and had the single carb setup. Extremely hard to find.

Where are you guys seeing that the 85 XR350R has a single carb? All my searches are showing a 2x26mm Keihin Carburetor.

They must have known I would eventually own an 85 XL350 and cursed me with the dual carb set up instead of going with a single carb on the XL...:banghead:

2003%20XR5088cc.jpg

Edited by YZ250F49

83-84 were dual carb and completely different than the totally revised 85 with single carb and lots of other changes. Frame, different longer swingarm, gearing, dry sump oiling, steering angle,  lots of things changed.
 Much more stable, slower steering than the 83/84.  Mine makes for a great dual sport or higher speed desert racer. 83-84 better woods bikes.  (generally speaking)

Now boy's we do have a difference between a '85  XR and a '85 Xl The XL's came with dual carbs and I have no idea why? Now to answer YH GEORGE  question the 84 XR350 would do well for your cross country. I raced Enduros and Harescrambles with the 84. I even rode it done the Baja to Cabo and back 1800 + miles and the only problem I had was the Honda headlight it was junk! Wore the rear tire out. To much road riding. The hoot was south out of San Felipe across the 3 Virgin Mts. on what I called a rocky goat trail! Back in '84. I guess it's all paved now. All 3 years were just about bullet proof, but the "85 is the real deal. I have one and it will go to the grave with me! 

• Like 1

the big issues is that some parts are discontinued, I think that the isolator intake boot to carbs is not available now. Mine ran fine, always a bit too  hot even after fiddling with slow jets and needle(s)  height(s).

Parts are wearing out a bit, so ebay is your best source

qCGbw0TTuB_h2GvnFmiJNSxZFpxaLysdykbE8aoq

Get the proper JIS screwdrivers for Japanese phillips screws, they are not phillips but JIS ... there is a dot on the screw, it makes a bit difference between success and screwing it up

post-297194-0-10691700-1393492211-590x48

yes it is hot even on a 60 degrees day,xXiSSOBBxmc2jWXtz4QwP-5Gdk4EAU8bEwxgsLuM

Edited by Michel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

I had an 84 xr350 for a short time last year. There are better choices out there.

I have to agree, after replacing the melted headgasket ...  but it ran back to home base in 90F temp days...

yrmqVWI6TMO5St5iZXEWTOySIGQaAMz62rO_h6xX

I did not registered the bike last year... non op until ... I need the space in the garage... but it was fun -white mountain trip in 2011-

02woOQEP-JGJqWkz0gKQIbnsrpkApTQnRL4RJWh7

Edited by Michel

Thanks guys, think I will pass on the '84.  Where can I find those special screwdrivers?

Edited by YHGEORGE

On 15/05/2017 at 10:14 AM, YHGEORGE said:

Thanks guys, think I will pass on the '84.  Where can I find those special screwdrivers?

amazon, ebay,... $20 for a set

There is an 85XR350 on the local CL in the east bay... of SF

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6124301671.html

Edited by Michel
  • Like 1