Chain length and adjusters on near new 2012 YZ450

Hey there, just a little confused by something. I just bought a 2012 YZ450F that looks brand new. I can shoot some pics over if needed. The bike is estimated to have under 5 hours and looks it. If it was off-road longer, it would show. If it's this clean because all the use was on the street, the tires would show it. Anyway, the chain adjusters are almost all the way out. There is very little adjustment left. I measured the chain between 16 links per the manual. The max length is 9.58" ish. My measured about 9.25. The sprockets are original as well and look great. I'll look through brochure photos and other pics of new 2012's I can get my hands on but is this common? The chain adjusters being way out right from the start? It's funny because I have a 16.5 KTM 450 Factory Edition with 22 hours on it and it looks like the chain has never been adjusted - the issue is the opposite, the adjusters are 100% in, with 100% adjustment left. Thanks for any thoughts!

The gearing was changed from stock (smaller rear / street gearing) and the chain got 'longer' so the wheel is slide back farther.

If it freaks you out, take out a link and plate to shorten it.

Chains dont' actually 'stretch', the links and rollers just oval...so the chain gets longer....but that is not your problem.

That's a brilliant thought. I checked mine and it has a 13t front, 48t rear sunstar and a did 520 dma2 chain. I went to a mail order website and looked up the microfiche to see what the bike came with. Seems this is all stock. Front sprocket and chain definitely. The rear sprocket had a lot of options from 47-52 teeth. Each part had AP after it except the 48 which is the one I have and that part had a STD after it. I'm guessing std is 'standard' and maybe the ap is 'available part'. It seems that my sprockets and chain are factory originals... hmmm.

I like the idea of pulling out a link but don't have the tools to do it. A shop will probably charge me 10-20 to do it and a chain likely isn't much more money than that. Still curious why the bike looks totally unused yet the chain adjuster is at the end.. hmmm

On 5/12/2017 at 10:46 PM, jamiemm18 said:

I like the idea of pulling out a link but don't have the tools to do it. A shop will probably charge me 10-20 to do it and a chain likely isn't much more money than that. Still curious why the bike looks totally unused yet the chain adjuster is at the end.. hmmm

If the bike only has 5 hours on it, you don't need a new chain; you just need to take a link or two out. A chain will last as long time as long as its taken care of. When the sprockets are worn out, then its time for a new chain as well. A new chain is anywhere from $80 for a cheap piece of shit to $180 for a quality x-ring chain. You can buy a chain breaker from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap (around $20) and do it yourself. The rocky mountain "Tusk" brand is even cheaper. 

Even if you decided to buy a new chain, you'd still have to shorten it a bit as the come long out of the box. 

One nore thought... is the chain any weaker after removing a link? It's about $100- a day to race 2 classes and pay gate fees. I don't want to have spent that kind of money  only to have the chain snap and end my day early since I was trying to cut corners. I can't imagine Yamaha leaving too many links in a chain in a brand new bike set up. I still wonder why it's at the end of the adjustment with so little time on it.... but I realize I'm repeating myself now. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, jamiemm18 said:

One nore thought... is the chain any weaker after removing a link? It's about $100- a day to race 2 classes and pay gate fees. I don't want to have spent that kind of money  only to have the chain snap and end my day early since I was trying to cut corners. I can't imagine Yamaha leaving too many links in a chain in a brand new bike set up. I still wonder why it's at the end of the adjustment with so little time on it.... but I realize I'm repeating myself now. Thanks 

No, all you are doing effectively is pressing out a rivet. The integrity of the chain isn't compromised in this process. If anything, chain related failures come from people not installing the master link and clip correctly or in the right direction. In 15 years of riding, I've never broken a chain or had one fall off. 

I've ground the ends off the rivets with a 4" angle grinder, then remove the plate with pair of pliers. Carefully with the grinder of course, it butchers the link you are removing so make sure it's the one you want gone!