How do you re-route a throttle cable?

I installed a set of Rox Risers tonight.  They're the block risers which raise the bars up about 1 and 1/4 inches.  I like them but when the bars are fully locked to the left the throttle cable is too tight. I could use about an inch or two of extra slack.

What's the best way to reroute it?  Do I disconnect it where the gold anodized adjuster knob is?  It would be nice if I could rotate the entire throttle housing towards me but doing that also rotates the throttle tube which puts it in a weird position when fully closed. 

P1020922.JPG

The throttle cable should be running under the right side of the tank/frame rail, not the left. No need to disconnect cable just take the tank off and route it on the right side of the frame rail, underneath and directly to the rear to the carb, in between the motor mounts. Unless it's kinked or mis routed by the carb which case you may need to disconnect the cable to re-route it. Just going off memory here don't have my bike in front of me but I hope this helps. 

Thanks Boogieman.  I have the 3-gallon IMS tank so it's hard to see exactly where the throttle cable is routed but it's definitely running along the left side of the frame.  Also for what it's worth, I have a 2016 390RR which is fuel injected so no carb.

• Like 1

I installed a set of Rox Risers tonight.  They're the block risers which raise the bars up about 1 and 1/4 inches.  I like them but when the bars are fully locked to the left the throttle cable is too tight. I could use about an inch or two of extra slack.
What's the best way to reroute it?  Do I disconnect it where the gold anodized adjuster knob is?  It would be nice if I could rotate the entire throttle housing towards me but doing that also rotates the throttle tube which puts it in a weird position when fully closed. 
P1020922.JPG.c3ace9938c3502a18616515028badece.JPG

sometimes after raising handlebars you just need a longer throttle cable. companies like motion pro will make one off longer cables

Fourstrokes have the cable running on the left, two strokes typically on the right. 

The way the cable comes off the throttle body it would be pretty hard to get it to the right side and would probably cause more problems. 

Edited by ccullins
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

If you want, you can just rotate the throttle assembly down, putting the cable on the bottom, to get more 'reach'. 

That's what I did.

I saw a pic of your bike where you did that.  But doesn't the throttle tube rotate down as well?

In other words - in the stock location of the throttle assembly, the closed position of the throttle tube is at the top.  Rotating the assembly towards you and down puts the closed position of the throttle tube at the bottom.  Am I missing something?  

If I end up getting a longer aftermarket throttle cable, what's good?  Motion Pro?  Their site doesn't list any cables specifically for Beta.

I saw a pic of your bike where you did that.  But doesn't the throttle tube rotate down as well?
In other words - in the stock location of the throttle assembly, the closed position of the throttle tube is at the top.  Rotating the assembly towards you and down puts the closed position of the throttle tube at the bottom.  Am I missing something?  
If I end up getting a longer aftermarket throttle cable, what's good?  Motion Pro?  Their site doesn't list any cables specifically for Beta.

rotating the throttle should be fine. its a rotating force it doesnt matter the positioning of where the closed position is resting. the throttle spring will close it regardless

if motionpro doesnt have it listed you can send them yours and they will use it as a model and send both back to you. barnett does the same.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

If I end up getting a longer aftermarket throttle cable, what's good?  Motion Pro?   Their site doesn't list any cables specifically for Beta.

RMATV listed a motion pro cable that was supposed to fit my 350 EFI model, but when it arrived it definitely did not. You're probably better off contacting motion pro directly

5 hours ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

really ??

• Like 1

what do you mean "puts it in a weird position when fully closed"? it doesn't matter how the throttle housing is rotated it will be the same. you could have the throttle housing mounted upside down and it would work the same.  

• Like 1

Ok, so I brain farted on that last post.  I rotated the throttle assembly and there's now plenty of slack.  I would eventually like to rotate it back up and just put on a longer throttle cable.

Thanks for all the input/suggestions. 

• Like 1

Hmm....

I made a mount for my Scotts that has a 1-1/4" rise and I was able to get the stock cable to work. I think the issue is with the stock hand guard setup the right throttle tube is pushed out quite a bit, easily 3/4" - 1". After installing the HWD guards I moved the throttle tube in so it was flush with the end of the bar like the left grip. Beta's stock setup with those flimsy flag hand guards is not very good.

Here's a couple pix showing how my cable looks. I don't have very much slack left though.

20170507_193958-1.jpg

20170507_194046-1.jpg

This shot show the cable with my temporary risers before I finished the Scott's mount.

20170408_180457-1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danketchpel said:

Hmm....

I made a mount for my Scotts that has a 1-1/4" rise and I was able to get the stock cable to work. I think the issue is with the stock hand guard setup the right throttle tube is pushed out quite a bit, easily 3/4" - 1". After installing the HWD guards I moved the throttle tube in so it was flush with the end of the bar like the left grip. Beta's stock setup with those flimsy flag hand guards is not very good.

Here's a couple pix showing how my cable looks. I don't have very much slack left though.

20170507_193958-1.jpg

This shot show the cable with my temporary risers before I finished the Scott's mount.

I would remove that zip tie from the damper arm before it gets jammed into the gap......

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

I would remove that zip tie from the damper arm before it gets jammed into the gap......

I already checked motion and clearance. It can't jam.

4 minutes ago, danketchpel said:

I already checked motion and clearance. It can't jam.

Do what you want then. The friction will wear down the zip tie until it does move in that gap.....eventually.

• Like 1