I've got a 2012 Beta 400RR Enduro and I'm curious if anyone has put a cush drive hub on one or can at least tell me what I need to know.

I tend to ride the bike on street to the trail and I've been kicking around this idea to make it a bit more road capable.

I've heard that hard-mounted sprockets wear worse when riding on hard surfaces and it can also send more vibration through the trans and wear the gears faster or worse.

Does anyone know of a cush hub or whole wheel that would easily transfer to the Beta or any other solution similar to this idea?

37 minutes ago, randysoo said:

300 dollars for a sprocket seems awfully expensive... I would think that a cush hub would cost the same or less and last a whole lot longer...

Although I failed to read far enough to see that the outer ring can be replaced for less than $50. Might be worth it.

Edited by Zippopotamus

The main thing with the cush drive for riding in town, is the bike won't slap the chain on the swingarm as bad.

On my Husky 610 it went from unrideable at anything under about 4000rpm because the chain slap was so bad... to being able to lug around at just under 3000rpm... for those moments when you're just creeping in traffic or riding slow in the downtown core.

It also helps prolong the life of your transmission, reducing the shock load on the gears and bearings.

Supermoto racing... none of those guys use cush drives... it's just extra weight.

Cush drive is a street bike thing, and it helps immensely on thumpers, I would highly recommend a bike that gets street ridden have one.

I believe KTM wheels fit, might want to Google it, it doesn't matter if it is regular fixed hubs or cush drive, they have to fit the same, so just find out which model and year KTM wheels fit, and find a cush drive one.

Edited by Borgschulze
  • Like 1

I've got a 2012 Beta 400RR Enduro and I'm curious if anyone has put a cush drive hub on one or can at least tell me what I need to know.
I tend to ride the bike on street to the trail and I've been kicking around this idea to make it a bit more road capable.
I've heard that hard-mounted sprockets wear worse when riding on hard surfaces and it can also send more vibration through the trans and wear the gears faster or worse.
Does anyone know of a cush hub or whole wheel that would easily transfer to the Beta or any other solution similar to this idea?

I posted about my Mox cush drive sprocket in another thread recently. It's the easiest & cheapest route I could find.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Borgschulze said:

The main thing with the cush drive for riding in town, is the bike won't slap the chain on the swingarm as bad.

On my Husky 610 it went from unrideable at anything under about 4000rpm because the chain slap was so bad... to being able to lug around at just under 3000rpm... for those moments when you're just creeping in traffic or riding slow in the downtown core.

It also helps prolong the life of your transmission, reducing the shock load on the gears and bearings.

Supermoto racing... none of those guys use cush drives... it's just extra weight.

Cush drive is a street bike thing, and it helps immensely on thumpers, I would highly recommend a bike that gets street ridden have one.

I believe KTM wheels fit, might want to Google it, it doesn't matter if it is regular fixed hubs or cush drive, they have to fit the same, so just find out which model and year KTM wheels fit, and find a cush drive one.

The chain slap on my 500 RS is ridiculous on the street when you are off the throttle. I'm tempted to have a video from a car next to me to see where all that noise is coming from and work up a solution. It can't be good for the driveline, and it sure does bug me.

• Like 1

If your thinking of buying another rear wheel, Warp9 sells reasonable priced new wheels for Beta's, I priced the difference between a wheel with a standard rear hub and a hub with built in cush drive being only $130.00 extra. 

Though for myself on the street I'm gentle with the clutch/shifting a little slow and lazy. To save my (normally low pressured) tires and countershaft splines

6 hours ago, danketchpel said:

I posted about my Mox cush drive sprocket in another thread recently. It's the easiest & cheapest route I could find.

Yes it is! Thank you for testing it Dan. I plan on getting mine in a few weeks.