Beginner on 1991 YZ 250

I found a good local deal on a 1991 YZ 250.  I only will be riding trail, fields, mud and gravel roads.  I have a lot of experience on a family members 80 something IT 250 2 Stroke and am comfortable with the power.  I know this bike will have more power but I think I'll be able to handle it.  I'm 15, 5'10 and 190lbs.  My biggest concern is that this won't be a good bike for the type of riding I'm doing.  What kind of modifications would I want to put on to make this bike better for the type of riding I do, especially trail.  I will not be riding any motocross.  Any help is appreciated

$_27.JPG

Just put some new rubber on it then check it over make sure your chain and sprockets are good and make sure your suspension is not leaking. Then just save your money for gas,tires and any engine repairs like a fresh top end.

Ride it, don't overthink things, have fun - what it's all about! If you find that it needs a bit of work, deal with it and fix it..It's the best way to learn.

• Like 2

Riding on gravel roads is not legal and a good way to get hurt. I was a volunteer fireman/EMT at my local fire department in a small rural community. You wouldn't believe how many of our runs were for kids who crashed while riding roads, or were hit by a car while road riding. Learn how to ride off the road. Good luck and welcome to the best sport ever.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice,  I just meant for the two mile strip of gravel I have to ride to get to my local trails.  People around there are used to ATV's.  But I'll keep it slow and careful, thanks for the advice

Also if it's public land, make sure that you have a USFS approved spark arrestor

Thanks, I'll be sure to get one as the area is a mix of public and private land.  It isn't an official trail system, just a local area that only local people know about but it includes at least 100km of trails along a river valley

• Like 1

I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and I read that you also need lights here, they say to just get some cheap mtb lights so I'll just do that because I don't plan on night riding at all

• Like 2