So the BYOB program is closed for a 2017 390RRS.  My left foot has not adequately recovered from surgery to ride and I am pissed about that.  But if it finally gets better next month I am out the bike I want.  So has anyone ridden a 430 and a 390 back to back?  I really like the idea of the 390 having a lighter feel and the longer stroke engine says a torquier less hyper motor.  Less hyper than the 430 but not to say the 430 is all that hyper to begin with.  I'll scour local dealers today to see if anyone has either one available.  I can't BYOB a 390 but that is life when you procrastinate.

I also think the 390 might run a little bit cooler but so much of overheating is dependent on riding style.

NC

I wouldn't be too upset yet if you can find one at a dealer. The BYOB was going to cost more than what my local dealer gave me my 17 300rr for.

BYOB is a nice option but I also like the idea of helping the local guy move inventory.

Since I drank the (red) cool-aid and wear the t-shirt, from your location Washington state, I would surmise that you will be well served by the 390. If you were riding, more open desert / baja type terrain or dunes, I would push the 430. If you like to lug, the 390 is for you. If you like to rev, the 430 is your choice.

The more I ride my 390 (30h and counting) the more I like that motor.  I was at an MX school in the newb class and once I started to grasp the basics and running higher in the revs in 2nd it was a pleasure to romp around the track. I just didn't have the balls to keep it there in the turns.

Not sure where in Washington you ride but if it is for the tighter trails of the western side I would go with the 390. I rode both ( actually almost all at a demo day) 5"10" vet expert, I really liked the 390 when I expected to like the 300rr. My buddy really liked the 430 (coming from 500exc).  My pick would be the 390 for nice smooth motor. 

2 hours ago, hadfield4wd said:

I think you can still get a 390 race

The 390 race is sold out for 2017, unless you can find a dealer with one on the floor.

Im intersted in this too, I got to ride my brothers new to him 390, While nice it needs suspension work, the engine was odd to me, it seems slow to accelerate yet very manageable but it was fine at the same time. The thing rides like a Cadillac, not super quick, kinda sleepy in turns but generally fun to ride and really comfortable. Im on a 300RR so maybe its not fair to compare but Im looking at adding a new 4 stroke and was thinking 390 but now maybe 430 for snappier machine, Im following.....

Would be very helpful if everyone identified which 390/430 was being spoken of. Otherwise it is of very little value and just creates more questions.

So the BYOB program is closed for a 2017 390RRS.

Assume 17 RRS? as that was opening line. Unsure about responses. Looks like he wants the dual sport version.

Was watching, as wondering how the EFI is working out, since doesn't sound like it is easy to fine tune the EFI if it isn't good right off the bat. Still wishing there was a version without EFI- Sorry never mind me- carry on.

6 hours ago, BENriding said:

Assume 17 RRS? as that was opening line. Unsure about responses. Looks like he wants the dual sport version.

Was watching, as wondering how the EFI is working out, since doesn't sound like it is easy to fine tune the EFI if it isn't good right off the bat. Still wishing there was a version without EFI- Sorry never mind me- carry on.

ALL the four strokes in the USA are street legal (dual sport) except for the race version. 

Hmmmm, I'm gonna disagree. From everything I've read the new FI systems are extremely fine-tuned, and is quite good right off the bat. The bigger problem may be the dealers performing a careful setup and double checking all aspects of the FI system is working properly prior to delivery. Granted the old school mentality of always wanting to tweak things is out the window presently, but with an off-road map for an exhaust IMHO Beta as come very close to being as good as it gets for modern bikes with FI.

I guess its one of those "sign of the times" things. While I love my 2014 450RS with a simple carb and yes I've made many tweaks to get it to run just the way I want, I want a new Beta with FI MUCH more !! Different strokes :ride: