Top end - oem or something else - 2015 450rmz

This one is kind of a tricky question and really depends on personal preference. For pure longevity, OEM would be the best choice. If you're aiming to bump up to a higher compression ratio(reduces longevity, but gains more power). I would recommend CP Carrillo or JE pistons. What ever you do, do not get anything weisco and I would also stay away from the namura kits or any big bore kits.

This one is kind of a tricky question and really depends on personal preference. For pure longevity, OEM would be the best choice. If you're aiming to bump up to a higher compression ratio(reduces longevity, but gains more power). I would recommend CP Carrillo or JE pistons. What ever you do, do not get anything weisco and I would also stay away from the namura kits or any big bore kits.

Ok - what's your opinion about pro-x or vertex pistons?

I went with a pro x this rebuild ( 10hpurs ago) and I can conform pro x is oem. All the casting marks and everything was identical pro x is a lot cheaper then oem aswell. Me personally I rebuild to oem spec o can't ride a 450 to its full potential so no need to spend money and up the compression

• Like 2

I'm just curious, how much was the PRO X? On babbits the OEM piston was only like 90 bucks(if I remember correctly for my 05)

I can say that I've had a pro x premature failure in my two stroke. I had heard at one time that pro x was purchased from Wiseco as lower grade that didn't make the cut for them to sell. I'm not sure if that's true just what I had heard. Also to my knowledge the stock pistons are cast aluminum and most aftermarket company's sell forged? Better strength more uniform heat dissipation and strength would all be factors that would allow the top end to be longer lasting than the oem.

13 hours ago, Andyb756 said:

I can say that I've had a pro x premature failure in my two stroke. I had heard at one time that pro x was purchased from Wiseco as lower grade that didn't make the cut for them to sell. I'm not sure if that's true just what I had heard. Also to my knowledge the stock pistons are cast aluminum and most aftermarket company's sell forged? Better strength more uniform heat dissipation and strength would all be factors that would allow the top end to be longer lasting than the oem.

Sorry... IDK why I typed Pro X. I was thinking of ART. They (ART) make just about every OEM piston for the Jap bikes as well as every other Jap powersport application. I would be willing to bet that is where the OEM pistons come from. There is very little info floating around on who actually makes the OEM pistons. The only mainstream bikes that I am aware of that uses a different brand piston is KTM/Husky who use Vertex. 

Edited by BDubb106

Sorry... IDK why I typed Pro X. I was thinking of ART. They (ART) make just about every OEM piston for the Jap bikes as well as every other Jap powersport application. I would be willing to bet that is where the OEM pistons come from. There is very little info floating around on who actually makes the OEM pistons. The only mainstream bikes that I am aware of that uses a different brand piston is KTM/Husky who use Vertex. 

Yeah I've never been able to find any info on them as well. They do a fine job for an oem supplier as both my stock pistons looked like new when I pulled them out of my suzukis

• Like 1

Pro x is cast. From what I have read prox is pistons from art that didn't make the cut ex. A-b cylinder. With any cylinder used a pro x will fit fine like I said mine was cast with all the marks my oem 12 piston had

• Like 1

Pro x is cast. From what I have read prox is pistons from art that didn't make the cut ex. A-b cylinder. With any cylinder used a pro x will fit fine like I said mine was cast with all the marks my oem 12 piston had

Ah I see. That's good to know for future reference. Yeah I often throw in a b sized piston in used cylinders to help with restoring power and ring seal.
  • Like 1

Ah I see. That's good to know for future reference. Yeah I often throw in a b sized piston in used cylinders to help with restoring power and ring seal.

Correct same here. But the pro x "c" piston wouldn't be a bad idea for a cylinder with 50+ hours
  • Like 1

Correct same here. But the pro x "c" piston wouldn't be a bad idea for a cylinder with 50+ hours

Definitely wouldn't hurt anything
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AdamW21 said:

That clears things up... I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Pro X was the exact same design as the stock piston but the pistons that actually make it into the bikes at the factory and on the shelve's marked as OEM are direct from ART. So I had it right in my head all along. 

Good info:thumbsup:

• Like 1