Will you buy a bigger tank for your YZ 250 X?

Just wondering if most of the owners on the board have purchased or plan or purchasing a bigger tank? 

It's something on my list of possibilities, but not an immediate concern. I really like the fact that the X has a reserve petcock. That would help if you were riding loops or something. Not very helpful if you were doing long rides.

If I get one, I will probably get the Zip TY (IMS) tank. I like the IMS tanks and the Zip TY tank seems to get great reviews as far as fit and finish.

I have the IMS on my KTM (gift from my sons) and I like the extra capacity.

I have a Clark tank that I put on for longer rides. I use the stock tank for when I only have a couple hours to ride. Do it right. Buy spare mounting brackets and shrouds. You can swap tanks in 5 minutes. Best of both worlds. I bought my Clark used with shrouds for $150.00

Edited by Charles De Mar
  • Like 2

I'd love to have a spare tank but just don't want to spend the money on it or have the ergo's changed, just have to carry a 30oz bottle of fuel and hope it's enough..

3 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

I have a Clark tank that I put on for longer rides. I use the stock tank for when I only have a couple hours to ride. Do it right. Buy spare mounting brackets and shrouds. You can swap tanks in 5 minutes. Best of both worlds. I bought my Clark used with shrouds for $150.00

How does your Clarke tank fit? I bought a Clarke for my XR400 after the OEM one split. It took a lot of work to get it to fit (and not leak). It works fine now, but on one side, the tank is a little too close to the valve cover. 

2 hours ago, dmrogers said:

How does your Clarke tank fit? I bought a Clarke for my XR400 after the OEM one split. It took a lot of work to get it to fit (and not leak). It works fine now, but on one side, the tank is a little too close to the valve cover. 

It fits pretty well. The plastic brackets that connect the tank to the frame are slightly off. I just removed the aluminum bushings and it bolted up. The rubber connector that straps to the sub frame is to short but not needed. Other than that it doesn't leak. It came with a petcock, shrouds, and graphics. Again, it was used. It does hinder access to carb and plug. I put the stocker on to tune the bike. I don't where else you could put volumevto keep the tank low and narrow. The seat fits fine. 

IMG_0588.JPG

Edited by Charles De Mar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

It fits pretty well. The plastic brackets that connect the tank to the frame are slightly off. I just removed the aluminum bushings and it bolted up. The rubber connector that straps to the sub frame is to short but not needed. Other than that it doesn't leak. It came with a petcock, shrouds, and graphics. Again, it was used. It does hinder access to carb and plug. I put the stocker on to tune the bike. I don't where else you could put volumevto keep the tank low and narrow. The seat fits fine. 

IMG_0588.JPG

That's a nice looking tank!

I like the idea of a tank you can see your fuel level with. I think I read in another thread that the Zip Ty tank has to come off to remove the spark plug. Is that the case with the IMS one? I think I would base my choice of tanks based on that.  

5 minutes ago, nicad said:

I like the idea of a tank you can see your fuel level with. I think I read in another thread that the Zip Ty tank has to come off to remove the spark plug. Is that the case with the IMS one? I think I would base my choice of tanks based on that.  

My IMS on the KTM is clear, and yes, it is nice as far as fuel level at a glance. That's the thing with the stock YZ tank. It is dark and hard to see how much fuel you have. 

I acually find the ims easier to get the plug out than the stock tank.

I'm never more than 5 miles or so from my truck so I fill up frequently. I'll get one if someone ever steals my gas can or I see one used for half price.

There are very few places left that you need more than a stock tank.  If you need a bigger tank, rejoice! If you are riding more than 60 miles you need a bigger tank. If your only doing 40 mile loops, you don't need it. If you want to ride 240 miles in three days with limited fuel access, you need to do something. If you you are down to many miles on a 250x. I really want to go with you. 

Edited by Charles De Mar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mudmixer said:

I acually find the ims easier to get the plug out than the stock tank.

wat.

NO. Just... no.

7 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

There are very few places left that you need more than a stock tank.  If you need a bigger tank, rejoice! If you are riding more than 60 miles you need a bigger tank. If your only doing 40 mile loops, you don't need it. If you want to ride 240 miles in three days with limited fuel access, you need to do something. If you you are down to many miles on a 250x. I really want to go with you. 

This is the way I see it.

Since Christmas, we have been on 1 ride. Real nice, it was a 10 mile loop with a few side routes/loops available. Other riding has been here at home (literally). We are fortunate to have a couple of small loops 200 yards from the house. Thank God for my brother-in-law that lets me use his land. We are the only 3 people that ride on his land.

Most of the riding areas in our area (within 3-4 hour drive) are used for CC series racing, which is fine. Most of the established loops are ~8-12 miles. Durhamtown and Highland Park are the exceptions. My wife and I ride together mostly, and we are never more than a few miles from the truck.

Right after we were married, we would leave the house and stay gone all day riding. Can't do that anymore. Not enough land available. 

Just getting out and riding does it for us. If I had more land at my disposal, I would gladly cut trails. 

So, once you hit reserve on the X, how many miles do you have? I haven't seen any numbers but figure it would be enough to get me back to some fuel.

wat.
NO. Just... no.
here are some pics of the underside plug access,hope it helps your decision
20170514_082030.jpg20170514_082043.jpg

here are some pics of the underside plug access,hope it helps your decision

Haha oh man, my bad. I was thinking of the ZipTy (which I owned for a short period). That tank allows zero room for getting to the plug. The regular IMS is better in that regard, so you're right!

If I were to get a tank now, I'd just get the Acerbis. Fit, finish, and ergos, it seems the best to me. Yeah it has that hump, but everyone that actually owns it has commented that it doesn't get in the way. Have yet to hear a single bad thing from those with real experience with it.

• Like 2

This is the way I see it.
Since Christmas, we have been on 1 ride. Real nice, it was a 10 mile loop with a few side routes/loops available. Other riding has been here at home (literally). We are fortunate to have a couple of small loops 200 yards from the house. Thank God for my brother-in-law that lets me use his land. We are the only 3 people that ride on his land.
Most of the riding areas in our area (within 3-4 hour drive) are used for CC series racing, which is fine. Most of the established loops are ~8-12 miles. Durhamtown and Highland Park are the exceptions. My wife and I ride together mostly, and we are never more than a few miles from the truck.
Right after we were married, we would leave the house and stay gone all day riding. Can't do that anymore. Not enough land available. 
Just getting out and riding does it for us. If I had more land at my disposal, I would gladly cut trails. 
So, once you hit reserve on the X, how many miles do you have? I haven't seen any numbers but figure it would be enough to get me back to some fuel.

I've heard "10 miles" thrown out several times. Haven't tested it myself yet though. Been doing 40 mile loops recently and I never hit reserve.
  • Like 1