Carrying tools in rear fender bag

Setting up a new YZ250X and was wondering about carrying spares, cell phone and basic tools. I suppose one option is in a fanny pack or back pack. I figure it would be better staying as light on the body as possible though. How about a rear fender bag like this Wolfman? 

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/enduro-tool-bag

Is this a good place to add a few pounds of  weight? 

Any downside to this setup in your experience? 

Tia

I have wrenches, screwdrivers, multi tool, spare spark plug, long zip ties, a length of webbing and my cellphone in this Tusk pack.  Don't even know its there until you bring your leg over to get on or off, lol.

20160819_111327_zpsedzme0e9.jpg

• Like 2

Imo if you have short legs or poor flexibility will it be a problem. At over 6 feet tall I can throw a leg over a packed fender pack no problem, but for my 5'4" mom to comfortably mount and dismount her bike, a TW200, I needed to remove the fender pack

Personally I have a 3.0L Camelbak Mule NV and carry everything in my pack and then I ave easy access to water while I ride.

20160114_172426.jpg.383dd98eb8faf31cc4c640cb8f55f2f2.jpg20160114_171836.thumb.jpg.036dd55d651965d75a878e771789286e.jpg

Now with that said, I recently got a plated DRZ400e with out a kick start and I just bought this fender bag to carry stuff like home made jumper cables and maybe a few other small things when I riding it around town but when I'm taking it to ride trails, its the pack.

M0403_Enduro_Fender_Bag_aa_large.jpg?v=1

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/enduro-fender-bag

Google "Dirt Bag Gear.com". Best bags on the market, made by a college prof in Gunnison CO. I have had one of his fender bags for at least 14 years and just had the zipper break. No question I will get another just like it.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 3

If mounting on the rear fender, be aware that it will bounce and shake all around, and any sharp tools will eventually wear a hole in the bag if they can rub on it. I learned the hard way. It may have been overkill, but my solution was to wrap the tools denim and put them in a leather pouch before stuffing them in the tail bag. 

One thing that didn't help was that most of my home riding area was deep sand with whoops that would make a SX track jealous.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Google "Dirt Bag Gear.com". Best bags on the market, made by a college prof in Gunnison CO. I have had one of his fender bags for at least 14 years and just had the zipper break. No question I will get another just like it.

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/

And just noticed one of my local shops in BC carries these :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Wow these look pretty good.

I ran them on dual sports but I carried alot of gear.  It tapped me in the butt on whoops and down hills. I had to tie down everything super tight to avoid damage. Tools still eat though some.

If your using a hydro pack anyway just go up 1 size and carry in it. 

On the rare times I need more a use a fanny pack. 

I can highly recommend the ogio 450 fanny pack. It is pretty big but it is incredibly comfortable. I especially like the side compartments for money and a smartphone. I've submerged it in water and my phone was completely dry afterwards. I've been using it for a couple of years and I feel naked riding without it. A front fender pack is great for a tube or two. Too much weight though will make your fender flop around depending on the bike. 

Raced enduros back in the 90's and all of us had MSR enduro fanny packs, works great. Tools on a fender is not a good idea, hard on a plastic fender, tools make holes and fall out. If you pack and adjust it right you wont even know it is there.

6 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Thanks, that is the front runner. Very reasonably priced too.

Brother I bought a $40 bear grills back pack for my son 5 years back, it's small has top and bottom latch and a water bag, genius thanks bear!

I have the small pack from Dirt Bike Gear on my 250. It's the right size for a tool wrap but I have also crammed a spare plug, spare master link, and more in there.

IMG_20161211_121831051-L.jpg

I have a larger pack on my 450. It holds the tool wrap, tow strap, bead buddy, pump, gauge, and more. The trick is not to overload it.

IMG_20170513_135213272-L.jpg

"A few pounds" on the rear fender will get the crap beat out of the pack, and a tall rear fender pack will at times be difficult to swing your leg over - even if you're tall. Best to have a decent backpack to put most of your stuff in...a front fender pack that holds a tube etc is the way to go provided that it's relatively light.

6 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

"A few pounds" on the rear fender will get the crap beat out of the pack, and a tall rear fender pack will at times be difficult to swing your leg over - even if you're tall. Best to have a decent backpack to put most of your stuff in...a front fender pack that holds a tube etc is the way to go provided that it's relatively light.

I've had that small Tusk bag on there for quite awhile with no ill effects to the fender or the bag. Of course, as I've said in similar topics, I don't carry a ton of tools. Anything other than a basic repair or adjustment isn't happening in the backcountry. I'm sure not going to do a top end out there. Carrying a ton of tools is silly. As for a flat, that's why a lot of us carry long zip ties, I'll fix it when I get back to the truck or home. 

19 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I think its dirtbikegear.com??   I use the low profile one.  It doesnt carry much but gets some weight off me and doesnt get in the way when throwing a leg over.

I also put tire irons in the air box (same with tube until I bought a bike with a battery), same with plug tools for my tubliss.  Getting weight off me and on the bike is my MO.  

Edited by Sycamore

14 hours ago, fmtnic said:

I can highly recommend the ogio 450 fanny pack. It is pretty big but it is incredibly comfortable. I especially like the side compartments for money and a smartphone. I've submerged it in water and my phone was completely dry afterwards. I've been using it for a couple of years and I feel naked riding without it. A front fender pack is great for a tube or two. Too much weight though will make your fender flop around depending on the bike. 

Yeah, I feel naked without my fannypack too, I use an MSR one though but I like the ogio one that I saw.  BTW the fanny pack doubles for back protection in a get off.  Back when I raced I filled it with a sponge.

31 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Carrying a ton of tools is silly. As for a flat, that's why a lot of us carry long zip ties, I'll fix it when I get back to the truck or home. 

I carry basic tools and use probably once per year if that, still glad I have em.  If your riding alone and get a flat the zip tie thing works I guess.  But for a 20 minute fix I'd much rather bring a tube and irons and so would ALL my riding buds.  

Most have since gone tubliss and bring zip ties now in case the HP tube goes. On long explore journeys I will bring a tube and irons just in case.