Can you buy a new crate motor for a 1996 xr250r?

6 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

ServIce Honda builds new hybrid bikes.  You might ask them what is available.

there not gonna sell you a motor, they certainly don't have any xr250 stuff. also, they only sell parts now

Edited by 91kdx25088

5 minutes ago, 91kdx25088 said:

there not gonna sell you a motor, they certainly don't have any xr250 stuff. also, they only sell parts now

Not, don't, and only.  Sheesh!  Build some barriers.

There are still late mint XR250s out there, a motor is not impossible.  

I recently ran across a Chrysler hemi 426 brand new in its original crate from the seventies.

Alright thanks guys! I have the motor but was just curious if it was possible to buy a brand new motor. Do you guys know the cost of a complete rebuild? Ive heard $1500 to $2000? 

IMG_3072.jpg

About five years ago, a guy that I know had a brand new, still in the crate, ATC 350X engine. I would say it is not totally impossible to find a complete NOS engine for your XR somewhere, but it would be a very rare find. Be prepared to spend a premium if you do run across one.

10 hours ago, Ross kucher said:

Alright thanks guys! I have the motor but was just curious if it was possible to buy a brand new motor. Do you guys know the cost of a complete rebuild? Ive heard $1500 to $2000? 

IMG_3072.jpg

There is no way to give you an accurate estimate on cost to rebuild what you have until you have properly torn down and inspected items for wear. you don't just throw parts at an engine unless they are truly needed. If everything is roached inside, YES you could in theory buy upwards of $2000 in replacement parts for the engine. that would not include shop labor. If there is little to no bottom end damage or wear, this cost would drop significantly. Engine run out of oil or otherwise abused, expect a big bill. 

There's 3 different XR250s on Craigslist local here.
$1600 to $1900... a 2000, 2002 & 2003
All look like low hour bikes, 2 still have the red Honda handguards