2016 CRF450X consumes oil?

Should I have checked the oil level before each ride? yes . But I have never owned a new 4-Stoke that consumes oil?

Why does a 2016 CRF450X (with less than 1K mi) consume oil? I don't run hi RPM's, and changed oil filter 2X.

End result, blown motor... F***K

4 hours ago, NEKOOHC said:

Did you find any oil in the crankcase breather hose ?

I'll ask the mechanic, what would that indicate?

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I'm gonna say that a high performance motor should not be used for gobbling up street miles. 500 mile oil changes is also part of the problem. This is not an XRL

500 miles recommended breakin oil change, 2nd one overkill? Don't understand 1st sentence

Right, but what is wrong with a properly geared CRF450X for street use?

5th gear doesn't go very fast. Do you have a cush drive? 500 miles is too great of an interval unless you're only lightly commuting, no track days, no racing. It's a race motor designed for constantly variable throttle unlike street use that doesn't vary throttle input.
  • Like 2

This bike does not get on the Highway. So, 5th is fine. This OG Sumo, rides his bike hard so, always varying throttle. Bottom line,

I'll just be sure to check oil cap. Maybe get an oil cooler increase cap. and cool.

Thanks all.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:09 AM, CraigN said:

500 miles recommended breakin oil change, 2nd one overkill? Don't understand 1st sentence

Yes and no.  To shrubitup's point, this is a race bike and you'll notice that there are two maintenance schedules in the manual.   The competitive schedule is in hours, and on a race motor like this, I would not let it go much beyond 10-15 hours on an oil change.  Break-in oil BTW is after the first ride, or 2.5 hrs on that schedule.  On the non-competition, it's 100 miles for break-in and every 600 miles after.

Jim.

• Like 1

To add... on a non-race engine, one quart per 1,000 miles is still considered 'normal consumption' though that is the ragged edge of being excessive. Most bikes I have ever owned have had at worst, 1/3 of a quart at 1,000 miles. Off road, race bikes, have had basically no consumption due to the oil change frequency. Highway riding consumes oil, as do guys that ride wheelies for miles on end consume a lot of oil too.

Many owners do not check the oil properly. I rec. checking at the end of a ride, topping off if needed. I also suggest measuring how much is coming out during a change. Many owners do not have the method 'down' to check it right and often end up over filling.

• Like 3

Yeah .. the CRF has a 2 ring piston , so some oil use is expected . The motor doesn't hold much oil , so as mentioned, check the oil level often . I have 2 CRF motors , one has done 22,000 Kim and geared for road use . You just need to be aware it's a performance motor and it needs to be " monitored " .

I thought the crf was one ring and the trx was two ring? I think that's what you're saying here anyway. Single ring wears faster which leads to oil consumption.
  • Like 2

I thought the crf was one ring and the trx was two ring? I think that's what you're saying here anyway. Single ring wears faster which leads to oil consumption.

Yeah .. I mean one compression ring and the oil ring set , less use of oil with a 3 ring piston . Like the TRX , I have tried the TRX piston . Zero oil use at the expense of less throttle response . I use a JE 2 ring piston and it uses a small amount of oil .
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my 2013 450x was just rebuilt with the trx piston / rings and it excellent burns 0 oil and i have not noticed any power loss or loss of throttle response ! its a no brainer in my opinion i use my 450x on the street all the time with no issues . 48th on the rear 13th front its not a highway bike but its perfect for up to 70km/hr on city streets .