Coolant/Antifreeze question

Im about to change out the coolant in my bike 08 S model and have a jug of oreillys  universal type anitfreeze, says silicate free but doesnt specifically say aluminum safe... Is this fine to use in my bike? Or should I just go buy some specific coolant for it? Figured Id get some opinions before doing something potentially harmful..

I'm sure it will fine.  There is aluminum in most cooling systems.  If it is is sold a universal coolant it has to be compatible with aluminum.  Oddly there must be 16 different types of coolant these days so I wonder if there really is a universal coolant.  I have no idea why more the 1 type is needed. Use what you have, it will be fine.

• Like 1

I would flush the system with distilled water just top be safe.

2 hours ago, brucen said:

I would flush the system with distilled water just top be safe.

Do you mean after I change it next? Or before filling it with the O'Reilly's antifreeze, just because?

3 hours ago, Noble said:

I'm sure it will fine.  There is aluminum in most cooling systems.  If it is is sold a universal coolant it has to be compatible with aluminum.  Oddly there must be 16 different types of coolant these days so I wonder if there really is a universal coolant.  I have no idea why more the 1 type is needed. Use what you have, it will be fine.

Yeah I figured it would be okay but you never know. I'll probably change it out again next season anyway for a more motorcycle specific coolant anyway. The POs of my bike haven't done well so far with maintenance I've followed up so want to get it done and at a baseline.

4 minutes ago, Scottg07 said:

Do you mean after I change it next? Or before filling it with the O'Reilly's antifreeze, just because?

A few types of antifreeze don't mix well with others and can form deposits in the engine. Most general coolants are compatible, so if the engine has the original coolant you're fine, but I like to clean all the old stuff out of the system. Whenever I change brands I do two or three fill and flushes with distilled water and then add the new coolant.

• Like 1

I don't understand why for $8 to replace your coolant with Honda, Belray, or Maxima pre mixed, people opt to cheap out. They are specially designed for water pumps and the small seals not on a large auto. Bikes also have magnesium components not just aluminum. Use what you want but for $8 for industry race testing and development products why not.

Just my 2 cents

3 minutes ago, kdxyardsale said:

I don't understand why for $8 to replace your coolant with Honda , Belray, or Maxima pre mixed, people opt to cheap out. They are specially designed for water pumps and the small seals not on a large auto. Bikes also have magnesium components not just aluminum. Use what you want but for $8 for industry race testing and development products why not.

Just my 2 cents

I hear you. I wouldn't go buy cheap stuff, just had it in the garage and don't like stuff sitting around not getting used ya know..

• Like 1

I'd rather mix my own for several reasons.

1) Water conducts best and I live in a mild climate, so I do 70/30 R/O filtered water and coolant.

2) Any brand Dex-Cool approved, so it meets the following  specifications: ASTM D3306, SAE J1034, J814, J1941, TMC of ATA RP-302B

3) I also add Red Line Water Wetter.

Engine Ice cost $25 a gallon, and I have no idea whats in it.

My mix costs $4 a gallon.

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 2

I like water wetter too.

Engine Ice is propylene glycol based from what I remember and not compatible with conventional ethylene glycol coolants so repeated water flushes are required to prep for use.Pita if I may say so.

I like the reformulated Dex-Cool much better than the old shit they had so many problems with.We used to call it Dex-Clog.

• Like 2