Sign in to follow this  

buying in Canada

Has anyone ever bought a bike in Canada and have it shipped to U.S.? i can get a great deal on a yz250x. is it worth it? are there any major hurdles or fees associated with doing this?

IMO its really not that complicated buying a bike in Canada and importing to the US or visa versa.

Would you be driving to Canada and bring the bike back or having it shipped cus even with your good exchange rate you have to factor that in.

This should give you a start.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle

Edited by filterx

1 hour ago, filterx said:

IMO its really not that complicated buying a bike in Canada and importing to the US or visa versa.

Would you be driving to Canada and bring the bike back or having it shipped cus even with your good exchange rate you have to factor that in.

This should give you a start.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle

it be would be shipped. i figured 500-700$ for freight. how does the tax work? would i be paying TN taxes? 

16 hours ago, rockytoptenn said:

it be would be shipped. i figured 500-700$ for freight. how does the tax work? would i be paying TN taxes? 

IMO you would need to contact CBP or look for the info on their website

With that said, drove down to Northern California (its about a 14 hr drive from where I live) and bought my CRF250 and rode for a week. When I brought it back I paid the standard taxes for BC but that was bring it straight into BC.

As well, and another thought is contact the freight company cus they could probably take care of all the paperwork required for customs and let you know how the taxes would work.

Out of interest what are you paying CDN for the big and what does it work out US $$$ with the current exchange?

Otherwise, good luck and let us know how it works out :)

1 hour ago, filterx said:

IMO you would need to contact CBP or look for the info on their website

With that said, drove down to Northern California (its about a 14 hr drive from where I live) and bought my CRF250 and rode for a week. When I brought it back I paid the standard taxes for BC but that was bring it straight into BC.

As well, and another thought is contact the freight company cus they could probably take care of all the paperwork required for customs and let you know how the taxes would work.

Out of interest what are you paying CDN for the big and what does it work out US $$$ with the current exchange?

Otherwise, good luck and let us know how it works out :)

i was told 7999 CDN and said it would be around $5650 US. Even if freight and and other docs come out to be another $1000, ill still be 1400 cheaper then the best deal I've found in TN.

• Like 1

I'm assuming its a 2017 and from a dealer?

Only thing I would comment on there are advantages to buying a bike from a local dealer BUT you have to figure out if its a $1400 advantage