I went to the Auction to see a DRZ400.

A couple weeks ago I posted that I was looking at a 2006 DRZ400 that was on a Farm auction. I got out to the auction and I started to look around. When I got to the spot where the bikes were I see this.

20170513_120451_zps7c0oodtp.jpg

20170513_115337_zpsuoh0asjg.jpg

20170513_115259_zps864mcc84.jpg

20170513_115348_zpsr6mokvwl.jpg

A lot of these bikes were missing parts, none of them ran at all.  I passed the guys current bike and it was a KLR250 I think.  It was beat up pretty bad. I didn't take a picture of it because it was not for sale. Now to the bike I went to look at. This is the first DRZ400 I have ever seen.  When I first looked at it I thought wow nice bike with 5400 miles. 

20170513_115431_zps8ojxpwyr.jpg

20170513_115445_zpspv0qyz32.jpg

SO I started to look it over better. The bike had been cleaned recently and it looked good from a distance.  I looked under the bike at the skid plate. There was Moss, ya I said moss. The stringy weed that is in ditches and canals. It was with mud that was packed between the motor and skid plate. The Chain was rusted real bad and I don't think it had ever been oiled. The rivets were shiny like something was rubbing super hard on them. The rivets were very worn.  I checked the oil and it was brand new. If you look by the right mirror you can see a tag. It was taken to a shop and the tag was still on it. They had work done to it to make it sell. my guess is that was the first time the oil was changed.  

I sat on the bike and instantly saw that the handlebars were  bent on the left side. Then I noticed that the plastic around the headlight was scratched up bad.  I tried to wobble the wheels to see if the bearings were okay but didn't feel any play.  

The auction said that they would have someone ride the bike to show that it runs. No one would be allowed to ride the bike before it was sold.  I thought about it a lot and I decided that I was not comfortable paying anything for the bike. It was clear that the guy never took care of any of them. It is also clear that it was wrecked and possably ran into deep water during the wreck.  I decided to pass on the bike.

The think I did learn was the DRZ400 is not too tall for me to sit on with my feet flat footed on the ground. Other than that it was a waste of time. 

• Like 3

The Drz doesn't "look" that bad by your pictures, but you were there to see it in person. If it was a Drz 400 (kicker) I would look a lot harder at buying it, but it is just another Drz 400S. Nothing special to see here.

8 hours ago, idaho ron said:

I thought about it a lot and I decided that I was not comfortable paying anything for the bike. It was clear that the guy never took care of any of them. It is also clear that it was wrecked and possably ran into deep water during the wreck. 

Wise decision. As durable as the DRZ is, it cannot endure the kind of abuse that a 20th century air cooled bike can, and clearly none of those were running.

Looks like a guy that just bought a new bike and rode it till it broke down then bought another , never touching a thing on them the entire time .  I second the interest in how much the TW's went for , they stay pretty high used for some reason .

I have been looking for a couple different bikes. I just recently been looking for a DRZ.  I was under the impression that they were much taller then they are. It feels to me like the same height as my XR250L.  I have never seen one before. I have went to motorcycle shops and they are never in there. Now I am really interested in one. 

you would have likely had to work on that one some .. still it would have probably been worth it .. 'if it ran ok' .. if you could have snagged it for under a grand ..

Good observations. You are wise to listen to your intuition.  Keep looking.  When I found my 2006 E the owner had complete maintenance records with photos and spare parts. He loved the bike and rode the piss out of it (lots of scratches in the plastics and dents in skid plate).  That was 2 years and 9K miles ago problem free.   Good luck.

• Like 1

I have no problem walking away from a bike. Only with the people that run a ads that overstate the quality. Sure I get excited when it's time for a new bike but there is nothing exciting about buying a turd.