Hitch Carrier - Perfection!

Hey guys,

Finally got my hitch installed and was able to test out the used aluminum hitch carrier I bought the other day. It's perfect! My CX-5 hardly notices the bike on the back! Super secure, and hardly moves around. Perfect solution for a guy that doesn't want to have a trailer taking up space in the driveway. [emoji4]

Just pumped and thought I'd share ?

IMG_6354.JPGIMG_6355.JPGIMG_6356.JPG

• Like 10

I have used a hitch hauler for tons of miles.  Love it.  Wish I had a slick way to attach my VP gas can, but have not discovered one yet.

Most dangerous thing for me is when I load it not throwing a handlebar thru my rear glass.  I am lucky enough to have rear glass that moves down into rear hatch, so I just put the rear glass down before loading.

I also throw a lash around my rear tire as extra piece of mind.

• Like 2

They are convenient. That's for sure. A one man operation start to finish. Even if i had a truck, I would've kept mine. So much easier at such a low height.

Weight is my issue now. I have a little HF 4x4 trailer (just a frame kit, no bottom). Just this week I purchased the 5" aluminum tracks and the 2 1/2" tube for the tongue I'm replacing (more strength and I wanted more length for towability. Started out at 150 lbs, now I'm just over 200. With our 2 bikes on board, I believe I'll be around 550-570. That comes in right at a carload of fat girls ?

• Like 1

I used a hitch carrier on a Nissan Xterra and my crew cab long box f350 lol. Just so easy to load. I've since gone back to just hauling the bike in the box since my current Pickup is a lot lower then the f350 was

• Like 1

I picked this one up in Kijiji (that's Canada's Craigslist - but much nicer.... don't you guys think Craigslist looks like a website that an 8 year old designed?? How haven't they updated it??I'm getting off point lol). It was $80.00. It was purchased for $299.99 from Royal Distributing... not sure if the brand or name though?

Throwing the handlebar through the glass is a concern. I just have a strap waiting for me in the rear window wiper, loosely connect it to the bike and then begin yanking in it away from the car, and repeat when removing... so it's always bending away from the glass/car.

• Like 1

Why is your reflective tape facing the car? I'm surprised yours doesn't have a front wheel chock of some kind, how is the bike held in before you strap it down?

Good questions. The front wheel falls into a wider gap between support bars than everywhere else. So it sits low into the carrier - acting like a chock. The reason the the reflective tape is the wrong way is that carrier was setup for the front wheel to be on the other side (the wider gap was originally on the right side). I'm more comfortable with being on the bikes left side when loading, so I had to flip the aluminum part around so that bigger gap was on the left side. Meant the reflective tape had to face the car.
  • Like 2

They work great. But warning: When driving in the rain, check the tightness of the straps often. Mine came loose then failed on I-70 about 10 years ago. WR did a somersault at 70mph and I dragged it by a security cable about 100 yards until I could pull over. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soloscuba said:

I have a similar one love it !! reinforced the receiver on ramp just in case extremely solid does no move

Could you share a photo of how you did this?

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

They work great. But warning: When driving in the rain, check the tightness of the straps often. Mine came loose then failed on I-70 about 10 years ago. WR did a somersault at 70mph and I dragged it by a security cable about 100 yards until I could pull over. 

LOL, I'm sorry to laugh (hoping the 10 years that have passed have made it a distant frustration).  That terrible, and a major fear of mine.  I think I'm going to get a set of ratchet straps to ensure it's not going anywhere "you never know"....

• Like 1

Actually it didn't do much damage. Just more awesome battle scars. And luckily I was close to Idaho Springs were I could buy new straps. 

I'll never forget  the horrible site of my bike disappearing from sight in my rear view mirror. Haha! 

Actually it didn't do much damage. Just more awesome battle scars. And luckily I was close to Idaho Springs were I could buy new straps. 
I'll never forget  the horrible site of my bike disappearing from sight in my rear view mirror. Haha! 

I can't imagine lol. Geez ?. Thanks for sharing, it's good advise "check those straps"!