Hitch Carrier - Perfection!

The one thing I would worry about hitch carriers is if the bike becomes a little loose and the handlebars go through the back window.  saw videos on youtube about hitch carriers and they all seem to be people putting 500lb street bikes on the carrier. I would think a 250lb bike is what is was designed for. I saw "Trailer in a bag" a few years ago and seems to be pretty cool. Wouldn't haul anything heavier than a dirt bike though.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLSnJxjZgfSx4vaWYMQum

2 hours ago, Jim Dettman said:

With something like that, just keep up on the bearing maintenance.   With a tire size like that, those suckers are going to be spinning pretty fast at highway speed.

Jim.

That's what I was thinking. I have a 4'x6' utility trailer with wheels a little bigger than that and after 5 years I repacked the bearings and they were still in excellent shape and the trailer got a lot of use. With Trailer In A Bag it might be smart to upgrade to ceramic bearings if possible. Or a little bit bigger wheels.

With my hitch hauler I mounted padding on the handlebar/grip/lever area to reduce chance of rear window damage in event of bike slippage.  For example, use painter's tape or duct tape around a towel wrapped thickly around the relevant area.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Dettman said:

With something like that, just keep up on the bearing maintenance.   With a tire size like that, those suckers are going to be spinning pretty fast at highway speed.

Jim.

And stupidly overpriced. Can easily buy a used utility trailer for the same or less.  Not a real smart purchase.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:55 PM, Bryan said:

They work great. But warning: When driving in the rain, check the tightness of the straps often. Mine came loose then failed on I-70 about 10 years ago. WR did a somersault at 70mph and I dragged it by a security cable about 100 yards until I could pull over. 

Strap it like this. Use carabiners for all connections, not hooks. Tie a physical knot at the ratchet. Straps cannot come loose. Would have to literally break a strap, and the system is rated at about 6000 lbs or more.

tiedowns.thumb.jpg.fb6d86df737e48ab6a91301485d4c01d.jpg

59d913c85bb29_HitchCarrierSafetyTie.jpg.0ae0825700ffa1ae42c4c8d1f8de236d.jpg

canyon-dancer-stainless-steel-strap-part-28-2032-3.jpg.7607f0a4a8dd7892e3adf35ce00b4e18.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a hitch carrier also.. works very well.  I did drill some new holes in the hitch so I could move it closer to the vehicle to reduce the load some (and it makes it easier to load because I can lean it against the back glass if I need to)

I originally bought the cheapest one I could find off of Amazon, then promptly sent it back after I realized the ramp was like maybe 18" long and is not secured to the carrier at all.. good luck getting a 450 up that without knocking it off (which I did)

The second ramp I bought has a much longer ramp and has a pin that holds the ramp in place during loading.  It's worked awesome.  I think I'm going to add brake/turn signal lights to it before doing any long trips but for hour or so trips it's worked great

IMG_3670.jpg.5e7bc1ffd6b51624e7f6db4813e35522.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg.4bc1a5f53efeb3b57948d368a66f5434.jpgIMG_3835.jpg.d8a98426ea757106c07ba91750878ba3.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg.51a612810899f63c6a4215fb693d6325.jpg

6 hours ago, Schpenxel said:

I'm using a hitch carrier also.. works very well.  I did drill some new holes in the hitch so I could move it closer to the vehicle to reduce the load some (and it makes it easier to load because I can lean it against the back glass if I need to)

I originally bought the cheapest one I could find off of Amazon, then promptly sent it back after I realized the ramp was like maybe 18" long and is not secured to the carrier at all.. good luck getting a 450 up that without knocking it off (which I did)

The second ramp I bought has a much longer ramp and has a pin that holds the ramp in place during loading.  It's worked awesome.  I think I'm going to add brake/turn signal lights to it before doing any long trips but for hour or so trips it's worked great

IMG_3670.jpg.5e7bc1ffd6b51624e7f6db4813e35522.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg.4bc1a5f53efeb3b57948d368a66f5434.jpgIMG_3835.jpg.d8a98426ea757106c07ba91750878ba3.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg.51a612810899f63c6a4215fb693d6325.jpg

Fix that front brake line before you snag it.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Schpenxel said:

Good catch, thanks. Will do this weekend. Previous owners, gah. 

Only takes a couple min, just remove the caliper and swing it around. Might need to remove fork protector pinch bolts, no need to remove the line from the caliper and bleed.  ?

Don't use it much anymore but will keep it forever, it's just too convenient.  Can have a bike loaded up, strapped down and ready to go in under 5 minutes on any vehicle with a hitch. I had a bike fall backwards off the carrier once while driving offroad, which was likely my fault for going up some steep terrain. Adjusting the crossbars can be a hassle if you use it for more than one bike. If you have a steel version it likes to be stored indoors or it will rust.

I added some reflective tape but the light kit is a great idea.

IMG_0944.JPG

On 10/7/2017 at 0:20 PM, YHGEORGE said:

And stupidly overpriced. Can easily buy a used utility trailer for the same or less.  Not a real smart purchase.

How easily can you fit your utility trailer into the trunk of a car, under work bench, closet when not being used?

On 10/27/2017 at 8:48 AM, DaveCR said:

I added two additional mounts to the hauler and receiver hitch so I could ditch the anti-wobble plate. The addition of trailer lights is me being me.

That looks pretty good. I've got no welding skills or I'd do something like that myself. I have, however, ditched the anti-wobble plate and just have an anti-wobble hitch pin. It works for the wobble but making the thing extra sturdy overall like you did would be nice (belt and suspenders and all that).

24 minutes ago, Marylander said:

That looks pretty good. I've got no welding skills or I'd do something like that myself. I have, however, ditched the anti-wobble plate and just have an anti-wobble hitch pin. It works for the wobble but making the thing extra sturdy overall like you did would be nice (belt and suspenders and all that).

OK, now you owe us pics or at least a site to get info.