Drz rebuild

Hi, after a trailride last Sunday I've noticed a loss of power and an oily smell, once back home i started my bike to find a lot of blue smoke once running, not knowing 100% what was wrong I decided to pul everything down to the piston, now that I am at this stage what would be the things I should replace while I've got it all apart? My bore and piston looks ok to me not that I am an expert but so far I was thinking to replace the rings, valves, springs, seals, cam chain, I've pinpointed my oil leak being a valve seal,

I've added a couple of pictures for any suggestionIMG-20170513-WA0008.thumb.jpeg.7c39d2cac99ea4a8b21a4735aa1c1338.jpeg

IMG-20170513-WA0006.jpeg

IMG_20170514_112055_035.jpg

i dunno how it goes with the drz, but replacing valves will probably take a machine shop to fit them .. sounds like overkill to me ... fix the seal, and if you want it fresh on the top end get a bore/piston kit and maybe replace your chain if you think it needs it, button it up, and call it a day ..

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cowpie said:

i dunno how it goes with the drz, but replacing valves will probably take a machine shop to fit them .. sounds like overkill to me ... fix the seal, and if you want it fresh on the top end get a bore/piston kit and maybe replace your chain if you think it needs it, button it up, and call it a day ..

Yeah the chain is stretched as i installed the tensioner wrong after doing my head gasket i don't really wanna do anything to the bore unless it needs it, if you think all I need is replace the valve seals I'm happy with that but I'm not sure about the life left in my valves they are pretty cheap so I might aswell replace them while I'm at it 

1 hour ago, Spike7125 said:

Yeah the chain is stretched as i installed the tensioner wrong after doing my head gasket i don't really wanna do anything to the bore unless it needs it, if you think all I need is replace the valve seals I'm happy with that but I'm not sure about the life left in my valves they are pretty cheap so I might aswell replace them while I'm at it 

You can't just replace valves and roll with it generally. A competent machine shop needs to cut the seats to match the new valves

Labor is $175 at fastheads

• Like 4

Valves, springs, keepers and a seat job are $$$. If your valve clearance is stable, you may want to follow Cowpie's advice.

• Like 1

Yes valve clearance has been stable for the time I've owned it, I'll get the shop to change the seals, as for the bore and piston, rings anything needs done or do I just Chuck everything back in ?

I believe you can reinstall the piston, just don't mess with the clocking of the piston rings. You could buy a valve spring compressor tool and change the seal(s) yourself.

• Like 2