2017 Beta Xtrainer E-start problems

New here.

My 2017 Xtrainer is having issues starting up.  I did one approximately 3 hour ride to properly break her in, changed oil and went down the manual's checklist 3hr checklist.  I got to start her back up and she won't turn over.  

-Battery fully charged

-Starter will crank hard but she won't turn over.

Beyond frustrating as its a brand new bike.  Any help would be much appreciated.

New here.
My 2017 Xtrainer is having issues starting up.  I did one approximately 3 hour ride to properly break her in, changed oil and went down the manual's checklist 3hr checklist.  I got to start her back up and she won't turn over.  
-Battery fully charged
Beyond frustrating as its a brand new bike.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, you can pull the starter and check the bendix, or you can take it back to the dealer for warranty work.
  • Like 1

Don't pull anything..just take to dealer if need be... first easy foofoo thing to check.. take off the seat and change the fuse. There's an extra one right there . Later replace the new back up fuse if that's the problem. I'm not sure if your bike is the same as mine but a common thing on Beta's are where the horn grounds in a fall or just whatever reason.  This is one reason why if I got an xtrainer I'd buy and install the 300rr kick start kit right away. The ktm freeride is also an estart bike but no kicker option. At least Beta has the choice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phyto said:

Confusing. The way I read this is that the starter bendix is engaging and trying to turn, but the engine is so tight that it won't turn over... or, any of the connection points in the high-current path between the starter and battery are loose or degraded and not allowing the full current to reach the starter.

18 hours ago, bikesandcars said:

Well, you can pull the starter and check the bendix, or you can take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Bikesandcars reads it as meaning that the starter just spins free without engaging the bendix so the engine doesn't turn over.

17 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Don't pull anything..just take to dealer if need be... first easy foofoo thing to check.. take off the seat and change the fuse. There's an extra one right there . Later replace the new back up fuse if that's the problem. I'm not sure if your bike is the same as mine but a common thing on Beta's are where the horn grounds in a fall or just whatever reason.  This is one reason why if I got an xtrainer I'd buy and install the 300rr kick start kit right away. The ktm freeride is also an estart bike but no kicker option. At least Beta has the choice.

HDR seems to think that when you push the button nothing happens. If that's the case, then his easy fix is a great troubleshooting tip to lead you to find the short and fix it. Otherwise, I like the idea to let the dealer fix it since it is brand new and still under warranty. And if it were me, I'd already have the kicker kit installed!

Good luck finding the problem.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

Confusing. The way I read this is that the starter bendix is engaging and trying to turn, but the engine is so tight that it won't turn over... or, any of the connection points in the high-current path between the starter and battery are loose or degraded and not allowing the full current to reach the starter.

Bikesandcars reads it as meaning that the starter just spins free without engaging the bendix so the engine doesn't turn over.

HDR seems to think that when you push the button nothing happens. If that's the case, then his easy fix is a great troubleshooting tip to lead you to find the short and fix it. Otherwise, I like the idea to let the dealer fix it since it is brand new and still under warranty. And if it were me, I'd already have the kicker kit installed!

Good luck finding the problem.

What is weird is there have been times when the fuse blows but there's still a tiny bit of contact that it sporadicaly turns over a bit till it totally stops later.. That's what's happened to me anyway but just a new fuse was all it was a minute or 2 job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

What is weird is there have been times when the fuse blows but there's still a tiny bit of contact that it sporadicaly turns over a bit till it totally stops later.. That's what's happened to me anyway but just a new fuse was all it was a minute or 2 job.

Duane, wouldn't it be cool if Phyto's problem were this simple?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

Duane, wouldn't it be cool if Phyto's problem were this simple?

Honestly most times it is..look at the ktm estart problem threads and look at the Beta estart thread..compare..actually th OP should put a search for the beta estart thread here and see if there is something there. For me its only been a fuse..which is nothing

• Like 1

Thanks for the help so far.  I swapped the 2 fuses under the seat.  Bike still performs the same way and won't turn over.

where/what is the bendix? How do I check it?

20 hours ago, phyto said:

Thanks for the help so far.  I swapped the 2 fuses under the seat.  Bike still performs the same way and won't turn over.

Did you call your dealer? I'd do that first and see what info you can get.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 5/14/2017 at 8:14 PM, phyto said:

It would help if you clarified which of the three scenarios mentioned above applies. Actually, you have eliminated HDR's thesis.

The "Bendix" is the device that connects the starter to the flywheel when you press the starter button, and disengages when the engine starts. As I wrote above, Bikesandcars reads your description as meaning that the starter just spins free without engaging the bendix so the engine doesn't turn over, but you would hear a high pitched whirr as the starter motor spins free, in which case the Bendix is the culprit. If it is engaging but the starter doesn't have the juice to crank the engine, then there are one or more places in he wiring where the connection is poor and needs to be cleaned or tightened. Follow the wiring diagram, tracing each lead and testing the connections. If it still doesn't work...

...call your dealer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

It would help if you clarified which of the three scenarios mentioned above applies. Actually, you have eliminated HDR's thesis.

The "Bendix" is the device that connects the starter to the flywheel when you press the starter button, and disengages when the engine starts. As I wrote above, Bikesandcars reads your description as meaning that the starter just spins free without engaging the bendix so the engine doesn't turn over, but you would hear a high pitched whirr as the starter motor spins free, in which case the Bendix is the culprit. If it is engaging but the starter doesn't have the juice to crank the engine, then there are one or more places in he wiring where the connection is poor and needs to be cleaned or tightened. Follow the wiring diagram, tracing each lead and testing the connections. If it still doesn't work...

...call your dealer.

I know it sucks being brand new..but to me the dealer is the first to call..secondly..and this is just my personal preference..buy and have the kicker installed if you havent already..To me Murphy's law rules for all dirt bikes..not only Beta. Kicker comes first..Its why Id buy a kicker if I got an xtrainer..and xtrainers are bad ass little bikes...especially because theres an option for kicker.

There is a little starter bendixkit..in accessories I think.. Its like 30 or 35 bucks.. Ive never heard or seen of anyone getting it.. you might be first ut under warranty.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Cheers for all the help fellas.  all cleared up and running like a champ.  I traced each wire from the bars down and luckily caught a small break in one of the early wires I checked.  Cut and soldered it back together.

• Like 1