Buying First Dirt Bike

So I've decided I want to buy my first dirt bike. I'm 16, 5'11", and about 160lbs. I've only ridden a buddy's bike back when I was 10, but I've been mountain biking almost all my life. Would a 125 2 Stroke be a good option? Or would I be better off going for a 4 stroke trail bike? I only intend to be doing a lot of trail riding for now. Also, any specific brands or models? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Edited by tom_ldridge

Hi Tom, Welcome to Thumpertalk! 

I've been into mountain bikes all my life as well...just got into dirt bikes about 2 years ago.  In my short experience, I have found the 2 strokes to be somewhat unreliable and sometimes seem to brake down for no known reason.  I do still like the two strokes better though, I love the snappy power band...Sometimes I find the four strokes quite mellow (especially the ones 230cc and under).  So, If you have the doe to afford a nice 2 stroke and have enough left over to fix it when it breaks, than the two stroke would probably be better for you.  You say you'll be riding trails?  Well, same here...I find the 2stroke 125 performs well in the bush, especially if you have the carb tuned perfectly so the plugs don't foul up.  For a brand of bike I would probably choose Honda.  It's pretty much just ''pick your favourite colour though.'' lol.  Ktm's are pretty awesome too, you'l just have to decide Japanese or U.S.A.  You might find a 250 or 450x to be very heavy and not quite as fun.  Just my opinion though. 

Cheers,  

Coleby

Edited by Slicing-Air

If your just riding trails I wouldn't suggest a 125 2 stroke . I would suggest a crf230 ,Ttr,or something like that 4 stroke with e start . Also depends on the budget now and later because a trail bike will last year's between builds a 125 2 stroke needs a new top end every 30-60hrs .

• Like 1