So, I recently wanted to get a dirt bike and was looking around and ended up going with the YZ450F. Originally I had intentions of getting a YZ250 and at the last minute changed course and decided on the 450F. This is only my second bike I have ever had, before this I had a 2002 CR 125 which I got when I was around 14 "2004" I rode that and had fun but had to sell it when I moved to Florida in 2006.  Here we are now and I wanted to get another bike so today I went to a local dealer and have a 450 on its way. I am excited about it and looking to learn more about it so I made an account on here. Looks like I will be picking it up next week on Wednesday, I guess Im looking for some input and any suggestions on riding this bike for a "beginner". I need to purchase some riding gear and also looking to maybe pickup a small trailer to tow it around to the local riding spots! Thanks KrinkovMan

• Like 1

Hang on for dear life :ride: awesome bike but man 125 to 450 is a big jump lol 250f is pretty sweet 

Yea I kind of figured it was a big jump, I have a respect for fast things. I have a 800 hp 93 civic and have been drag racing hondas for the past 9 years. My civic currently has ran a PB of a 10.0 at 145 in the 1/4 mile. I realize the 450 is a big bike so I am definitely gonna invest the time into learning to ride it and not try to go balls to the wall the first couple times out.  

That 450 is no joke. It will surprise you just be careful have fun :ride:

I went from an 06 yz250 to a 14 yz450f.

It is night and day. Be careful. You twist the grip and it goes like hell.

I've had the bike going on 3 years and am just getting comfortable on it.

Make no mistake, I still respect it tho.

• Like 1

Man I just got a call from the dealer, they told me they are having trouble finding one but they are working hard on getting me one and I should have one by the end of the week. I did however pick up a small little motorcycle trailer off craigslist for $450 and it is going to hual the bike nicely! Here is a picture of it, I am super pumped and already ordered the riding gear!

mST1972.jpg

Lay some 5/8 ext plywood between those rail for easy loading and carrying fuel cans. Painted of course. And add a jackstand with a wheel on it to the tongue, you will be glad you did.

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Lay some 5/8 ext plywood between those rail for easy loading and carrying fuel cans. Painted of course. And add a jackstand with a wheel on it to the tongue, you will be glad you did.

Here is a better picture of the trailer, It has the front wheel it is actually cool because it swivels so it is out of the way when i have it hooked up on my suv, I like the plywood idea and im gonna look into doing that. 

2gfNPiY.jpg

some of the gear showed up, and have the helmet and pants still on the way, I got the full fox legion setup and went with a Fox V1 helmet the boots are tech5's. I did not hear from the dealer I know my sales guy said he was off today so i was not expecting to be able to pick it up today. I took off the rest of the week since its my birthday and had plans to ride it all week but I guess we will see how it plays out. 

KGCGusZ.jpg

Edited by krinkovman

Get the tuner ! You are going to need it.

Modern four strokes, combined with FI, makes for an extremely touchy throttle. 1 mm of movement is very noticable, especially with the stock map, which is made for constant moving riding, and no stop-and-go at all (track).  The bike is not made for putting around.....but it's easy to de-tune it.

With the tuner, it's very easy to tone it down.

I would use the 'wet' map posted on Yamaha's site to start with.

Here she is, Picked her up today from Cycle Springs in Clearwater, Florida. 

eL2Oztp.jpg

Ill make a little video of it tomorrow, I have a gopro and will post the video here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grayracer513 said:

Pretty when they're new, aren't they?

lol yea I have to agree i was so pumped when they rolled it out and i got to see it for the first time, I never buy BRAND new stuff for my self of this caliber. I buy used cars and its so sweet being able to buy something brand new and seeing it super mint. I know she is gonna get dropped and scratched but at least I will remember how it was off the show room floor :) 

Nice! I remember picking mine up new in 2003, still have it and ride it today. Much the same only new vehicle I've ever bought. 

• Like 1

So i took the bike out yesterday to a place called florida Track and Trails its in punta gorda Florida about an hour and 45 mins south of me. It was a super huge compound something like 17 miles of trails a Pro motorcross track and Intermediate motorcross track and also a beginner track. I rode on the beginner track and also the ATV/side by side track because it was probably the easiest track to ride in the facility. Ok so one thing i learned is riding in the sand is harder then i thought. I dropped the bike 1 time and that was trying to go into a trail and i realized right away the trails are not my thing I like the motorcross tracks more. I had a great time and today I am meeting up with some guys on face book and going to a place called croom its an hour north of me.  here is a picture I took, The 450 is fast for sure, i got on it on this straight away and man these 4 strokes have some power i fell in love instantly :) It was super hot out yesterday i would guess in the 90's for sure. I Talked to some guys and it seems alot of people dont ride in the summer because of the heat and they wait for winter down here as you know in florida we dont get any snow this far south so people ride all year but i ignore the heat and I cant wait to get some more hours on the bike and learn to become a decent rider. I know its gonna take time and hopefully i meet some guys who are able to show me some stuff to improve.

oLE7qfn.jpg

LwZbTlJ.jpg

Some of the things that really stuck out to me are my hands/wrists kinda of hurt when I am riding it maybe because i death grip the grips and the stock grips are kind of hard. I was thinking i may want to change out the grips and see if i can find a more comfortable grip if they make that? Also you can see im a bigger guy so the seat is not very comfortable and I would be interested in finding maybe a softer seat if possible. If not i can deal with it but those are just some things about the bike that I noticed. 

Edited by krinkovman

One thing I found on my '03 model from new I was getting arm pump and sore wrists when belting across rough paddocks. I backed off the compression clickers on the forks a couple clicks and it cured that problem for me. Unsure about your model but something too think about dialing in the suspension too suit you and your riding :)

Definitely gotta love the power of the 450!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maiphut said:

One thing I found on my '03 model from new I was getting arm pump and sore wrists when belting across rough paddocks. I backed off the compression clickers on the forks a couple clicks and it cured that problem for me. Unsure about your model but something too think about dialing in the suspension too suit you and your riding :)

Definitely gotta love the power of the 450!

Yea because this is all so new to me, I have no idea on how to go about messing with the suspension. I am going to read into the owners manual and look more into whats involved in doing that. I may also just take it to a professional and get them to help me dial the bike in for me as i see people advertise suspension tuning locally. I Know how to work on stuff, I built my 800 hp civic in my garage but these bikes are really kind of all new to me and I honestly don't know what i am doing but I'm gonna to learn in due time. 

Here is a picture of my civic since i bring it up lol

WZuuQa3.jpg

G13tpzG.jpg

Edited by krinkovman
  • Like 1

That's a beast!

It really is simple too adjust the suspension, read the manual, grab a screwdriver and note down what you adjust, 2 minute job at most the adjusters are external.

Don't get 'softer' grips, as they will force you to squeeze harder to feel in control.

The ProTaper PillowTop grip might work for you, like they do for me. Calluses are part of riding.

The most important thing is how you ride.  Ideally you should be gripping the bike with your knees/thighs, and putting lots of weight on the pegs, not the seat. Use your core to hold you upright, not your arms.

Seat Concepts makes a Comfort seat for your bike.

• Like 1