im am 13, 100 pounds (with gear) and currently ride a 08 yz85 and am looking to move up. first off im not rich and i have to pay for my own stuff, i am not going to be racing i mainly just ride track and trails here and there also some desert sinlge track. i am debating on witch i should get next a yz125 or a yz250f. i can handle the power i have riddden both a 125 2 stroke and a 250f and i basically fell in love with both so i am in a predicament on what whould be best. anything helps

No matter all 2 vs 4 stroke pros/cons,

you being around 100lbs, the bike's weight is a consideration.

If possible, put each bike on the ground and try to lift it upright,

then imagine doing the same when tired and in the worst conditions possible. (off-camber, mud, etc.)

My young neighbor (13 y/o, 5', about 90lbs or so, plays sports but is of average build)

easily lifts up a YZ85 but still struggles to pick up his CRF125FB after a tumble.

According to posted specs (including fuel), weights are :

YZ85: 157 lbs

CRF125FB: 196 lbs

YZ125 : 208 lbs

YZ250F: 231lbs

Believe me, 20lbs makes a bit difference,

both in how a bike feels when riding and, when picking it up off the ground.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

No matter all 2 vs 4 stroke pros/cons,

you being around 100lbs, the bike's weight is a consideration.

If possible, put each bike on the ground and try to lift it upright,

then imagine doing the same when tired and in the worst conditions possible. (off-camber, mud, etc.)

My young neighbor (13 y/o, 5', about 90lbs or so, plays sports but is of average build)

easily lifts up a YZ85 but still struggles to pick up his CRF125FB after a tumble.

According to posted specs (including fuel), weights are :

YZ85: 157 lbs

CRF125FB: 196 lbs

YZ125 : 208 lbs

YZ250F: 231lbs

Believe me, 20lbs makes a bit difference,

both in how a bike feels when riding and, when picking it up off the ground.

And keep in mind your picking up the bike after you have crashed and you may not  100%.

Its not just the weight but how its carried.  My wife rides a klx 140l its 209 lbs ready to ride. It has a 32" seat height.  She can pick it up just fine. I have a ktm150 its 205 lbs without fuel. With a near empty tank she can't pick it up . Its to tall for her .

Personally i think the 125 would be the better next bike over the 250f.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider

125 definitely.  Not only is it lighter handling and lighter on the scale, but if you're 13 and have to pay for any repairs, a blown up 250f will set you back far more than a 2-stroke.  I would budget a $140 top end into your search and when you get a 125, remove and inspect the top end as well as the rod bearings and crank bearings before you put any real hours on it.  If everything's good to go, you'll have a new piston in there for good measure.  The bike will probably need several other items like tires, swingarm bearings and all the fluids changed at a minimum.  

And since you already have experience on an 85, you'll have a blast on the faster bike because you hopefully know how to work the clutch decently.  

You could get lucky on a 250f purchase but the gamble is much more of a headache if it turns out to be a bad deal.  When I was searching for a 250f last year I added $600 to my budget for a reconditioned head UNLESS the owner had receipts of a recent full head rebuild. And even then...10+ years as a mechanic and I've seen some poor quality repairs from professionals as well.  

Although I'm a bigger fan of the 250f, I'm not very biased. With your size and weight I might go with a 125. 

While a four stroke might be more expensive and more difficult to repair, if you're maintaining it for the type of riding that you do then I wouldn't worry too much if you did want to get the 250f. Chances are you won't have to do major repairs for a while, and you won't need to spend money on mixed gas. But like I said, with your size and weight, a 125 will probably feel easier to handle.

I wouldn't let the price of repairs influence my decision so much if I were you unless you're riding pretty hard

I'm 14 and also selling my yz85. Only got it because of a good deal. I personally don't like the 125's as much. I had a yz125 and all it did was break we put over $2500 into the bike and then it blew up. All my friends have 250f's and the only ones that break are the &%$#@!ing 04-06 crf250's the valves and carb are horrible I'd look into a 2006-2009 yz250f if your like Yamaha they're fairly cheap. Or a 05-08 KX250f. I wouldn't buy anything under a 05 just due to horrible valves and motor problems. Hope this helps. 

8 hours ago, 3ackary87 said:

Although I'm a bigger fan of the 250f, I'm not very biased. With your size and weight I might go with a 125. 

While a four stroke might be more expensive and more difficult to repair, if you're maintaining it for the type of riding that you do then I wouldn't worry too much if you did want to get the 250f. Chances are you won't have to do major repairs for a while, and you won't need to spend money on mixed gas. But like I said, with your size and weight, a 125 will probably feel easier to handle.

I wouldn't let the price of repairs influence my decision so much if I were you unless you're riding pretty hard

The problem is - how do you know the state of health of a bike purchased second hand?  You can throw all the fluids, valve adjustments and hopeful thoughts you want at it but it won't be any more than a gamble at that point.  

3 hours ago, michaelchristie207 said:

I'm 14 and also selling my yz85. Only got it because of a good deal. I personally don't like the 125's as much. I had a yz125 and all it did was break we put over $2500 into the bike and then it blew up. All my friends have 250f's and the only ones that break are the &%$#@!ing 04-06 crf250's the valves and carb are horrible I'd look into a 2006-2009 yz250f if your like Yamaha they're fairly cheap. Or a 05-08 KX250f. I wouldn't buy anything under a 05 just due to horrible valves and motor problems. Hope this helps. 

At 13 years old, IF the OP is really going to pay with his own money he's probably only going to be able to afford one of the older problem 250f's.  Condemning all 125's as crap because yours was problematic isn't logical. 

To the OP, be careful of financial advice given by your peers.  Unless I'm really old and haven't realized that 14 year olds nowadays live on their own and pay $1000's in bills per month.  

Get a 125 for $1500-2000, at this price it better be in good shape. Set aside $300 in case the cylinder needs re-plating later down the road.  Enjoy the crap out of it and chances are when you upgrade to a faster bike you'll still want to keep the 125 because they are extremely fun, and good training tools to boot.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cesper said:

The problem is - how do you know the state of health of a bike purchased second hand?  You can throw all the fluids, valve adjustments and hopeful thoughts you want at it but it won't be any more than a gamble at that point.  

At 13 years old, IF the OP is really going to pay with his own money he's probably only going to be able to afford one of the older problem 250f's.  Condemning all 125's as crap because yours was problematic isn't logical. 

To the OP, be careful of financial advice given by your peers.  Unless I'm really old and haven't realized that 14 year olds nowadays live on their own and pay $1000's in bills per month.  

Get a 125 for $1500-2000, at this price it better be in good shape. Set aside $300 in case the cylinder needs re-plating later down the road.  Enjoy the crap out of it and chances are when you upgrade to a faster bike you'll still want to keep the 125 because they are extremely fun, and good training tools to boot.  

I'm not saying all 125's are crap but most hard riders get 20hrs out of a piston Ivan get 150+ hours out of a good maintantain 250f 

Don't kid yourselves. All race bikes are high maintenance. So find on that has been well kept. Junk bikes sell for as much as good ones. Don't buy a bike from a bike flipper or a meth head. If you're looking for a project bike then those are out there too.
Anyway, the 125 is a good bike for you. Light, nimble, easy to start, easy to work on and you can most likely get one in better condition for the same money.

• Like 2

Definately 125
250s are nice but the 125 is lighter way cheaper to buy / maintain and super simple to work on

23 hours ago, That2smoker said:

Get the 125 I have 1 and my friend has the same year as me 06 yz250f and my bike kicks his bikes ass.

Your friends bike may have some problems or your just a much better rider but they should be pretty equal 

16 minutes ago, michaelchristie207 said:

Your friends bike may have some problems or your just a much better rider but they should be pretty equal 

There similar but the 125 has a great powerband which makes it way better for racing, trails, or even a drag race (Not recommended)

I'm 29 and not much bigger than you (5'4 130 lb) and both have their advantages and cons. The 125 (my last bike) definitely feels more nimble and playful, and being that you're already used to riding a 2 stroke it should be a lot of fun for you, especially with your weight. 

As others have said it's a gamble either way, and if you're truly paying for everything yourself then the 125 won't kill you as much with money when bad things happen. I took a gamble on a '12 kx250f and it's been a great bike for me so far. Had it a year, have done a top end and just now starting hearing a bottom end knock and am dropping it off to be split and fixed Wednesday. Otherwise it's been basic maintenance and really not much money to maintain other than basic wear items. 

I miss the 125 for being super lightweight feeling and playful, but I love the 250f foe being fuel injected and the low end grunt while trail riding, or when I'm on the track and can leave it in a higher gear in some corners since I'm light (that's my excuse anyway, ha). Still wish I kept the 2 stroke to mess around with. 

Keep your eye out for a good deal and get what you want. I think you won't go wrong either way. You'll grow into either and have fun with either