Electrical issues!!!

I have a 2008 Honda CRF450x. It sat for 7 years and had less then ten rides on it when I got it. I had the carb rebuilt, gas lines replaced etc. The bike shuts off after 2 hours of riding and loses all power. My only hope is to roll start it and even that stops working at some point. I have taken the bike to Integra and White Knuckle. I have spent a lot of money on parts and labor. I have replaced the stator, battery and regulator rectifier. The bike runs like a dream when she's running, but this damn problem keeps happening. If anyone has experienced this before please talk to me!!! Thank you!

Is it always more or less two hours? And the ECU, has it been replaced? What about the filter in the tank and the gas cap?

Hello! 

Thanks for responding!  It is almost always at the 2 hour mark.  Yesterday I rode for 25 miles to make sure she was ok.  It worked fine then I went for another ride and it crapped out about 20 miles into it.  It has been to the shop several times, but the ECU has not replaced or the gas cap.  

• Like 1

I have to say, if it's consistently more or less two hours, then I would be looking outside electrical.

I say that because unless you ride very consistently, the motor/electrical should become hot at varying times.  I would find it quite odd for an electrical problem to go out at more or less the same time each time.  Can never say never, but electrical problems are usually more random and often related to heat.

Some more details would be good; are you doing the same type of ridding when it goes?  ie. High speed, large bumps, etc, or is it really just about 2hrs in, it dies?   What's startup like?  Do you need to wait for the bike to cool down consistently or no?

What I'm thinking is a tank venting problem or the fuel getting cut off.   Also I'd check the carb vents and make sure their not plugged with dirt, but that would have a quicker effect.

If the tank cap is not working, then your not going to allow air in like you need to.  I might also consider replacing the fuel pickup in the tank, which has a screen that can collapse and cut off fuel flow, but that I think would be more random.  Still on an older bike, it's something you need to consider.

Next time it dies, crack the cap and see if you can hear a whoosh.

Jim.