Sign in to follow this  

KLX 650 C-1 Spits fluid upon hard acceleration

Hello, I am trying to figure out what I need to do to my bike and any advice for future projects.

I have a 1993 KLX 650 C-1 , I recently purchased it in the winter. It had some issues starting originally ( carb was dried out and needed cleaned). But it ran good once it started. After I got it back from the shop I ran it for about 50 miles, While on the ride I noticed while at a light or stop sign the over flow tube would bubble out and spit fluid all over.

There isnt a temp Gauge on the bike. But there is a High temp light. (it did not come on that day, or any day after while doing test.)

I added Coolant and a fan bypass switch, I ran it down the road again a few days later. Again while on the throttle it would spit out of the overflow It wouldnt steam out or be to hot.  But..... Not while riding easy. It was only under harder acceleration and during a wheelie. But its not hot or steaming out. And no there is no overflow tank. Never had 1 when I bought it. And I couldnt find 1 online either for that model.

When I got it home I left it running and checked to see if it was overheating. It wouldnt spit fluid. I then turned off the fan bypass and withing 5 mins it was clearly overheating and was spitting fluid. But it was more like steam then before.

I just ordered a inline Trail tech Temp Gauge and a new thermostat, I am going install these and flush the system out then try to see if its overheating or if it has a clog.

My questions......

1. Does this sound like a overheating issue ?

2. Does it sound like a blockage ?

3. Should I just replace the Impeller as well ?

I would get a cooling system pressure tester, and see what kind of pressure you are building up in the cooling system, and when.

It's possible you have compression leaking into the cooling system at the head gasket.

When you accelerate, you increase your cylinder pressures dramatically, and it can push past a head gasket; and it may not necessarily run hot.

The adapter from the test kit should be the same as any Japanese car.

You can buy a kit at most any auto parts store, or Harbour Freight.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
spelling

The cooling on these bikes is marginal , it takes very little to get them hot .  Does your temp light come on with the neutral light when you first turn the key on ? There is the switch at the bottom of left radiator for the light and one in the middle bottom of right radiator for the fan . The coolant overflow bottle is way in the back of the bike , left side below the rack under the side cover . It's possible you cap is weak and without the hose draining into a catch tank what your seeing is normal , I have a TTO to go on both of my KLX's as well but haven't decided where is the best place . I prefer reading temps right where the coolant comes out or in the head itself .

BTW does your bike have a hanging idle issue when it up to full temp ? It's very common with these , both of mine did it and it was annoying as hell , no jetting changes got rid of it though I could get them to be close however any air temp changes and they'd do it, seems they needed to be jetted exactly for a certain outside air temp and it was only good for +/- 5 to 8F and it would return  . FCR41's fixed them for the most part plus woke them up a bit .

Edited by jjktmrider

Thank you for the time and thoughts. My temp light is on while im in nutral. The sensor you mentioned has a bad wire.The other sensor was recently replaced and bypassed to a manual switch. 

The temp gauge is on the pipe leaving the head. This way it could be as close as possible to what the motor is. 

Yes my bike Hangs high....so much. its very annoying. And jetting.....what a pain seriously. 

I do have a catch that I made. Even installed clear hoses to see what type of fluid it is (bubbles,Solid liquid, flow rate etc...)

When I ran it last it would warm up then instantly jump up to well over 200 degrees. 

I did here they dont like to be over filled but i lost atleast 3 cups once it started to over flow

I recently did a pressure test and it held pressure for 3 days with no leaks 

So an update.... I installed the Temp gauge, removed and Flushed the radiators as well as the hoses. As well as installed new clear hoses to a diy resevoir

Went on a test ride. It started fine and was running at 145 - 154 while on back roads. After my first traffic light it got up to 170.Also it started to leak fluid out of the new clear overflow lines into the new resvoir.  Then from there it went up everytime i slowed down. 

The only way to keep it cool was to keep it running. Even then it stayed up towards 190. 

So I had to pull over and let it cool. After an hour it cooled to 126. SO I started it and limped it home after stopping 2 more times....fail

This might be a second reply from me.  Your klx  is acting exactly !like a bad head gasket.  Compression pressure is leaking into cooling system pushing coolant out of the ovefflow.

MP

I never got my gauges mounted on either of my KLX's, though I have some sitting here , but 170-190ºF isn't that high of a temperature for what's coming out of the head . 210ºF to 230ºf is where I'd start worrying . Most liquid cooled bikes do run just under 200º ,the thermostats are 185º or 195º anyways . My aircooled XT's run upwards to 300ºF , and that is reading the oil temp in the head ,so the temps your seeing are nothing really .

Edited by jjktmrider