Pipe and silencer

Anybody running any pipe and silencer combos for the 2017 YZ 250X? I definitely want the gnarly pipe. The silencer is where I'm lost. Can I run any silencer or only the turbinecore? I want to run the powercore 2.1. Thanks.

Save yourself 100$ and just run the stock one :thumbsup: doubt you'd tell a difference . The pipe you will tho. Grarly is all low mid. I smashed stock pipe one time and guy a track gave me a used gnarly I heated it lol would not rev out. But got me three the day then ditched it. But would be awesome for woods riding what it's for

Edited by Motox367

Honestly threw my years of racing and many pipes later never really noticed much differences except that gnarly lol I'd spend my money on a reed cage and jetting.  Suspension stuff like that. Skid plate,braces things that acutely make diferance not just looks. But that's me lol the pipe doesn't make you faster

Pipes can mix and match. I have found that FMF silencers are a little tighter in a PC pipe. Had to shave a little off the end of the pipe so the silencer would line up on subframe. 

Honestly threw my years of racing and many pipes later never really noticed much differences except that gnarly lol I'd spend my money on a reed cage and jetting.  Suspension stuff like that. Skid plate,braces things that acutely make diferance not just looks. But that's me lol the pipe doesn't make you faster

Well suspension done jetting done skid plates done guards done bars controls done chains and sprockets done all that's left is pipe and reeds. I have used a gnarly in the past and loved the torque and grunt down low. My question is can I run a powercore 2.1, since I was told by RMATVMC that there are only two silencers for my bike? Or is the stock silencer good enough?

The other thing is vforce or boyesen? I have always ran boyesen and liked their products, but this is a different bike now.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

Well suspension done jetting done skid plates done guards done bars controls done chains and sprockets done all that's left is pipe and reeds. I have used a gnarly in the past and loved the torque and grunt down low. My question is can I run a powercore 2.1, since I was told by RMATVMC that there are only two silencers for my bike? Or is the stock silencer good enough?

The other thing is vforce or boyesen? I have always ran boyesen and liked their products, but this is a different bike now.

Well I'm sure there's some difference . Looks atleast. I always ran vforce but they don't last long as boyeson.  If going with gnarly pipe id lean towards vforce.  

As far as parts SPECIFICALLY made for for the X, there is only the FMF TurbineCore 2 silencer. The rest (including pipes) are all universal to the regular YZ250.

I personally run the Gnarly + TC2 combo. Runs great, but the stock pipe probably has just a tad less low end and more top. I hear the Fatty brings the top back.

One day we will get dyno numbers...

So, I have been doing some reading and now getting away from FMF for a second, what is the crowds opinion on either Doma, DEP, or Bill's?  Thanks 

What does the fatty do to the low-mid range on the X? Stay the same or less? 

Edited by 07laramie

I would like to try a PC2 on my 2017 yz250x. Tried one on a buddy's 2014yz 250 and it was smooth and strong. Better bottom than stock. I'm not a huge fan of the FMF Gnarly on yz250's including the yz250x. It's really punchy (almost too aggressive) off the bottom and then signs off early. Good for really slow tight stuff I guess, but I prefer how other pipes like the pro circuit and stock pipe allow the bike to rev out farther with a smoother overall power delivery. I just wish my stock pipe offered a bit more punch off the bottom and a smooth transition into the mid like the PC2. 

Edited by mcgradybrandt

So. What I am about to do is drop my flywheel weight down to an 11oz from 13.  And this pipe has me stumped I always ran a gnarly on my Cr 250 for harescrambles now I'm looking at Bills. I raised a tooth on the back sprocket but I'm still looking for more button punch. 

I'll just comment that I'm not a fan of the early sign off of the Gnarly either. Still running it though until I get a DEP...

• Like 1

So after hours of reading I'm going with the gnarly pipe. But I'm debating between the standard length 304 pro circuit or the powercore2. I know someone said that the silencer stock is fine, but I want a better tone to the bike than that of the stock. Any opinions thanks?  Flywheel weight is being sent out tomorrow to get shaved down to an 11oz. 

Edited by Hondaracer1318

Dang I should have looked a little further down the threads list and I would not have started another thread.

Sadly, I bought the GYTR TCII a couple months back and have really struggled to get it jetting correctly. Now today I'm finding out that it's not developed to work on the X, there is a TCII specific to the X but I guess resellers don't know this. Now I'm trying to find a way to either fix this S/A or have to get a new one b/c where I ride you must run a S/A.

Not sure what to get now........ :|

• Like 1

So just got off the phone with Motorsport.com. He says to use the gnarly with the powercore2.  304 and powercore 2 are basically the same silencer. But I told him I was running a 13oz flywheel weight and he said what for?  He told me that the x bike is already geared for torque in the gearbox. He suggested I run the gnarly and the powercore2 but said to either get rid of the weight all together or drop it down to an 11 or even a 9oz. 

Supposedly the issue with the standard YZ silencers is that they don't create enough back pressure, at least according to FMF. My uneducated guess is that it has to do with the much lower compression of the X head and possibly the exhaust port setup.

I've started riding tracks again and I have a top end rebuild coming up after my next ride. I'm going to be throwing on a pre 2011 YZ head at that time, along with a non S/A silencer and see how it goes. My goal is to have power somewhere between the regular YZ250 and the X and maybe this can be the way there... At the very worst, I am going to have a lot of fun tinkering and might possibly have a wall of YZ exhausts as I try different things!