Sign in to follow this  

Companies that Shave Dirt Bike Seats

Recommendations on companies that will shave dirt bike seats? Looking to gain some seat height reduction and looking for companies that I could have shave my seat for me.

Recommendations on companies that will shave dirt bike seats? Looking to gain some seat height reduction and looking for companies that I could have shave my seat for me.

Why would u pay someone to do it when u just take the staples out, get a cutting tool and make it neat, pull the cover on tighter and staple it again.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-L-C said:

Why would u pay someone to do it when u just take the staples out, get a cutting tool and make it neat, pull the cover on tighter and staple it again.

Because I don't trust me :).  From experience, when I do projects like this, not only do they end up taking 10x longer, they look like crap, I cuss a lot, throw tools and then end up having someone else do it in the end. Also time, Having full time job, wife, 2 kids (1 who races and is at track 2-3x a week), coaching basketball, and trying to have some "me" time, time is very limited.

I would think any place that does upolstry work could do it, especially the people that do boats there always getting into odd things.

Because I don't trust me 🙂.  From experience, when I do projects like this, not only do they end up taking 10x longer, they look like crap, I cuss a lot, throw tools and then end up having someone else do it in the end. Also time, Having full time job, wife, 2 kids (1 who races and is at track 2-3x a week), coaching basketball, and trying to have some "me" time, time is very limited.

Honestly a.c Moore or any arts and crafts store that works with cloth, plastic, and sponge will do it.

4 hours ago, Dustin Mobley said:

Because I don't trust me :).  From experience, when I do projects like this, not only do they end up taking 10x longer, they look like crap, I cuss a lot, throw tools and then end up having someone else do it in the end. Also time, Having full time job, wife, 2 kids (1 who races and is at track 2-3x a week), coaching basketball, and trying to have some "me" time, time is very limited.

An electric fillet knife will make it easier.

• Like 1

I just got a Seat Concepts low seat for my wife's bike. Awesome product. Don't know if they'll shave an existing one though.

beta511.JPG

Edited by drumiv
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, drumiv said:

I just got a Seat Concepts low seat for my wife's bike. Awesome product. Don't know if they'll shave an existing one though.

beta511.JPG

Looks Good. I think that is what I will do is just order seat that is already lower from STD and see how that works.

20 hours ago, stevethe said:

SDG seats does a nice job. This one on my Supermoto bike is shaved an 1" in the front to leave a hump. 

IMG_1628.JPG

Looks Good. I think either I will have my seat shave, or just order seat that is lower than STD.

SDG does do a good job. Got one of those too, just not the short seat.

450.JPG

• Like 1

I took my seat to an upholstery shop... He just charged me $25 to remove about an inch.  I thought the price was reasonable and I didn't have to bother with with buying staplers, etc...

vehicles-347191-0-75733100-1470791498_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jms130 said:

I took my seat to an upholstery shop... He just charged me $25 to remove about an inch.  I thought the price was reasonable and I didn't have to bother with with buying staplers, etc...

vehicles-347191-0-75733100-1470791498_thumb.jpg

Awesome idea. Quick google search and found a guy in my area that specializes in custom seats for Dirtbikes, streetbikes, etc. Comparable prices to what you paid for, but much cheaper than sending off, or getting a brand new seat that is already low. Love this site.

• Like 1

Did one of my seats today.  First time i have ever done it.  It was quite easy.  I used a long "bread knife"   

I followed this video.  The seat looks good and not all goofy shaped.  Only thing i could have done better was smooth out the foam some more.  I sanded it down just a little and was too lazy to get get my electric grinder and correct wheel and just said screw it you won't be able to see the small imperfections under the seat cover..... well i was wrong, you can but it is still good enough and doesn't look bad at all.  Whatevs.  

I took off about an 1.5" in the meat of the seat and tapered the ends like in the vid.

Edited by subxero

On 5/14/2017 at 11:45 PM, Dustin Mobley said:

Send it to Sunday Rides.

• Like 1