250 RR Faster way to fill trans with oil

The second half of an oil change on my 2015 Beta 250 RR has become a somewhat long and frustrating event.   I can't find a way to fill the transmission quickly or without watching the fill hole very closely.   The oil fill opening is directly above and very close to the clutch basket limiting the area that can be filled by oil.   I am only able to pour in a few ounces of oil at a time before the oil overflows and drains onto the clutch cover.   I have tried clamping the clutch lever open to separate the clutch plates but this only helps a little.   

Has anyone found a low-effort way to fill the transmission oil quickly?

What trans oil are you using? I found the same thing with my Sherco. Lately I have been using 80W gear oil which seems lighter than previous motor oils I used. It does run past the clutch noticeably quicker and runs great in my bike.

• Like 1

Yeah i haven't discovered a way around this issue.  I line up the basket so i can see the clutch plates so oil can drain faster into the trans.  The easiest way i've found is a funnel with a measuring cup attached and a flow valve.  Fill it to 850cc and slowly let it trickle down while i rest the assembly against the bike and let it do its thing.

Stupid design.

1 hour ago, cdk said:

I am currently using Quaker State 10w-40.   

If you try Spectro 80W it'll probably fill quicker and be less annoying. I use a small funnel with a long spout I found at an auto parts store. I can fill the trans standing up.

Yeah i haven't discovered a way around this issue.  I line up the basket so i can see the clutch plates so oil can drain faster into the trans.  The easiest way i've found is a funnel with a measuring cup attached and a flow valve.  Fill it to 850cc and slowly let it trickle down while i rest the assembly against the bike and let it do its thing.

Stupid design.

What he said, works great...

1 hour ago, Krannie McKranface said:

LMAO!! 

You guys are overthinking this. 

I simply open up my bottle of oil and pour in 800cc. Slow and steady. It takes less than 2 minutes. BTW anything over 800cc will blow out of the breather and make a mess. 

• Like 3

It also helps a little bit if you keep the clutch lever depressed so the clutch discs will not stay sticked together. Might have to unstick them with a flat screwdriver but be gentle.

This, a small funnel and proper trans oil instead of motor oil.

Or get a Rekluse clutch cover.

Keep pouring 850 ml, 800 is not enough when  things get nasty.

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

I don't find it to be that big of a deal. Use your handy dandy ratio rite mixing cup of you still have one laying around, it's has CC's on it which are the same thing as ML's. It should take 850-900 ML's of fluid, I take my time tilt the bike over and make sure almost if not all of the old fluid drains out. Set my funnel up and use the ratio rite to pour into it, have to do it twice cause it only goes up to 500cc's but it really doesn't take that long. Once you figure out how much fluid your putting back in after your drain procedure it should be the same measurement every time. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, ballisticexchris said:

LMAO!! 

You guys are overthinking this. 

I simply open up my bottle of oil and pour in 800cc. Slow and steady. It takes less than 2 minutes. BTW anything over 800cc will blow out of the breather and make a mess. 

No, I am not. I never spill a drop, never have a funnel dripping in my shop, and I mark the side with all the different oil levels required for multiple bikes, so I never have to look up the quanties of oils for different bikes.

It's just good planning. It's smart thinking, not overthinking.  Get with the program.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FaceDeAce said:

The best solution to this problem is 2 beers and a lineup of Metallica on the shop boom box. Seriously, what's the rush ....

If you really need quicker, preheat the oil jug to be good and warm/hot.

I was gonna say heat up the oil before pouring. make sure not to melt whatever its in.

Really..  putting in a little less than a quart of oil is an issue . . .just measure it out and pour it in the hole. or get one of those cheapo graduated marked walmart funnels with the screen inside and the valve to regulate the flow.. I think it's like 4 bucks. This isn't an issue. It is like  chris said.. no big thing. It's a very minor thing.